Ultimate Subaru Message Board

mounting lights on a forester

dklein90

Im looking into putting some lights on the front bumper of my Forester, problem is I have a factory push bar that I think will be blocking the light. I want to use either Hella or PIAA lights (the round ones) and mount them into the bumper, not the push bar. Has anyone ran into this problem or have any sugestions for me.

Thanks

-Dave

Someone sells a rally bar that bolts on the bumper in the grill area.

It was on the board a while back but I can't find the thread... :confused:

What about mounting them on the front of the push bar? After all you'll never push anything with that "Push Bar".

You could also make a small metal "Z" type mount bottom could be inserted between the push bar and the bumper using the existing bolts. The top part of the "Z" could be used to bolt to the light. Thus you could raise the mount height of the lights enough to clear the useless plastic push bar?

Just a couple thoughts.

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--no push bar needed!!!

01 Forester--complete with useless plastic push bar!!! :lol:

The push bar is useless I agree with you on that. In fact I would remove it but I sortof like how it looks. The bracket is a good idea, I really like using the mounts for the "pushbar" rather than drilling new holes. The Z bracket would let me do that and raise the bottom of the light above the top of the bar.

Thanks for the help, I really like that idea. It might be a few weeks before I get it done but I'll take pictures and post the results.

I think that I want fog lights rather than driving lights. The factory fog lights are like the "pushbar", mostly for looks. I live in Maine where Moose tend to be hit by cars alot, Im hoping that the fog lights will brighten the sides of the road and help me see what is lurking in the darkness.

Should I wire it so they are on a switch of their own or should they be hooked to the lowbeam's like the factory lights?

Should I buy PIAA or Hella?

Thanks for all the help.

Fog lights won't help you with moose, mainly because you will only see their feet. 4 moose were hit by 6 cars near my house a while ago.. they're just so tall that headlights go right under them, i think roof mounted spot or flood lights would be your best bet for that situation.

If you're set on putting them on the bumper, you can build yourself a bracket just tall enough to mount the lights to, you know.. a small rectangular thing.. so they're higher off the bumper, and over the plastic pushbar :rolleyes:

I'd persanally go for the PIAA's, but a friend of mine has Hella's on his jeep, and they're damn bright. As for wiring, all my extra lights (small KC's and crazy german fogs) are wired directly to the battery, with switches of course. This is nice, because you can turn on the lights when you have the car off... just don't drain your batt.

Oh yeah, if you want to go for some serious light, get some lightforces, they're austrialian made.... freaking rediculous... i want some :grin: