Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reverse the drive output?

NVBigBlue

Hello all,

I have a project in mind that the running gear from an older 4WD suby would be perfect in...if I could make it do what I needed it to. Basically I want to take the entire drive train out of the car and reverse it. That is, the motor is now in the back of the vehicle. But the tranny would have to run in reverse to go forward. Is there a way to (internally) reverse the final outputs of the dual-range trannies?

NV

Your not the only one with this dream, but there is just no way to do it with the Subie gearbox. The shafts could de driven backward if you address the thrust surfaces (and build a motor to run backward :rolleyes: ), but the final drive will still be pushing on the wrong (back) side of the gears. If you really want to do rear engine (and dont need a lot of HP), look into an adapter and a VW gearbox.

Gary

i discussed this in length on a road trip from texas to minnesota with my equaly creative cousin.

a cam regrind costs 150 bucks right?...well, it would require a completely different cam, and your exhaust valves would be bigger than your intake valves... but how hard would it realy be to make an ea81 run backwards? dual carbs, exhaust stickin straight up.

you can always put in new valve seats so the valves are exqual size... good for low end torque i hear.

i always imagined the front wheels being the furthest forward part, so you could drive up to a brick wall, and push untill the car was almost vertical.

Guest shadow

One option I considered for a buggy was a mid engine configuration 4wd system. This had been done by a board memeber in AU. with the Subaru drive train, however he used a toyota engine. The driveshaft is chain driven in this configuration.