Ultimate Subaru Message Board

We were taking our 2001 Forester on vacation, got a nasty burning smell on the first leg of the trip. By the time we got home, I pinned it down to a torn right passenger CV boot throwing grease on the exhaust. Of course, it was RAINING both legs of the journey, so now I've got some clicking. :banghead:

We have to take the car on another long journey, and I don't have time to diddle around, so I found a dealer that will do a new axle on one side for $255--parts, labor, and a beater loaner for the day. Am I wrong in thinking this is a decent deal? :cool:

The Forester has 66k on it--how likely is it that the other CV boot will go soon? We do city driving (potholes) so there they do see some "flex"--is the driver's side likely to be toast soon, too? And, how long will an axle last as long as the CV boot isn't compromised? :confused:

This is the first "real" problem with the vehicle--other than a few light bulbs out, a failed knock sensor, and a rattling heat shield, it's been golden. :)

I think $225 is about average for the job using a rebuilt axle. I replaced the axle on my 1999 Forester for $60, but I enjoy working on cars. The axle over the exhaust pipe is the one that ususally goes, the heat from the exhaust degrades the rubber more qucikly than the other axles. The two rear axles on my 185,000 mile car are original, so they can last a while.

it's up to you if it's reasonable. if paying extra for a loaner and getting it done quick is fine by you then go get it done and be done with it.

i think it's kind of high, i'd look for around 150. if you were in maryland i'd do it for 150.

i would expect more miles out of a new axle, but if it's by the exhaust like someone mentioned then that will degrade the rubber quicker like they said.

on another note, if you can put up with the smell and noise there is no reason you need to worry about taking them on the trip, they will not fail. i've driven over 50,000 miles on boot torn, clicking CV's. just stay out of hard core off roading and sand. my current ride has 220,000 miles and the rear CV has been cracked for like 100,000 miles. though the rears articulate much less than the fronts. i was in georgia and was tearing it up in some off road sand and my front joint that had been broken forever started sounding terrible from all the sand getting in there. still drove the 800 miles home to maryland without a problem...the cv's were even clicking while driving straight at this point. that's generally my personal rule of thumb, change them when it's convenient (like the tire is already coming off for somethign else) or when they start making noise while driving straight (which will take a loooong time) in that case, i changed the axle as soon as i got home. i've driven butt loads of miles on cv axles and the only one i ever had break was BRAND NEW!!!

i write all of this because before i knew anything about cars i used to freak out about CV joints because they don't sound good when they start clicking and it is related to the wheel sort of so i didn't know enough about it to keep from getting freaked out and having it fixed right away. now that i know, i like others to be informed so they don't worry as much as i did.

Jman: same thing happened to me, at about 63000 miles, also on vacation. I did notice the torn boot when checking under the hood, but the burnt smell was there anyway, on the trip back to NJ in my case. The right inner boot sits above the hot cat. converter. I chose to replace the boot on car, disconnecting only the inner CV from the stub shaft. The grease that really matters is inside the metal CV housing, where the balls and cage are, and there should be enough to drive for a while, before it becomes dirty. What splatters on the exhaust comes mostly from inside the boot. Ours was driven for 1500 miles before repair, 500 of it on highway, part of that in rain.

Cool, thanks for the input. I'll probably get it done anyway, because this is the princess's vehicle, and the clicking I'm getting is rolling straight, in neutral. It's just not worth it to risk failure in rural Canada while on a camping vacation with the extended family. :-\

Now, if it were MY primary vehicle, I'd drive it until I saw actual flames. . . . . :D

Hmmm, why can't Subaru come up with a silicone, fiber-reinforced boot that would resist cracking and tearing???? :confused:

I'd consider having it done in Canada...would likely cost you less. What part of Jersey are you in. I grew up in Irvington and Union and lived in Rockaway before moving to Delaware and then out here. I remember the state fondly....I must have logged 50K miles just rallying.

Cool, thanks for the input. I'll probably get it done anyway, because this is the princess's vehicle, and the clicking I'm getting is rolling straight, in neutral. It's just not worth it to risk failure in rural Canada while on a camping vacation with the extended family. :-\

Now, if it were MY primary vehicle, I'd drive it until I saw actual flames. . . . . :D

Hmmm, why can't Subaru come up with a silicone, fiber-reinforced boot that would resist cracking and tearing???? :confused:

I'm going to Nova Scotia, where it seems nothing is done right :rolleyes: so ix-nay on getting it repaired there. Besides, can't afford the down time on the road.

I'm in Jersey City, so I have a few dealerships to choose from. Plus, if they fawk it up, I can go back and ***************. :brow:

I'd consider having it done in Canada...would likely cost you less. What part of Jersey are you in. I grew up in Irvington and Union and lived in Rockaway before moving to Delaware and then out here. I remember the state fondly....I must have logged 50K miles just rallying.

Cool, I went to school in Hoboken; met my future wife at Jersey City Medical Center where she was studying Nursing. That brings back fond memories. Best of luck on your trip; everything should be okay.

I'm going to Nova Scotia, where it seems nothing is done right :rolleyes: so ix-nay on getting it repaired there. Besides, can't afford the down time on the road.

I'm in Jersey City, so I have a few dealerships to choose from. Plus, if they fawk it up, I can go back and ***************. :brow:

Jersey City Medical Center is now closed down--they have a new hospital downtown on Grand Street, and the JCMC is going to become luxury condos. Great art deco building with awesome views . . . . why waste it on sick people?

I guess you went to Stevens?

Cheers.

Hate to post bad news, but I disagree with the idea of driving a car any more than necessary if it has a ripped boot and/or clicking axle. I ruined my front differential when a front axle broke. Did'nt realize it was going out. Had the radio up too loud I guess. It also took out the front wheel bearing. Now have to replace the tranny...but tranny has other problems too, so not a horrible deal. But if I had caught the axle problem earlier, could have nursed the tranny along for another year...maybe?