Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Pump Relay ?

Guest vondjina

Guest vondjina

Hey, I just got a subaru DL 1.8 4d sedan 1988. rusted around the wheels but frame, floor and all else seem good. Paid only a few hundred. I drove it the day I got it, brought it home. Had no problems (transmission shakes a little. Nothing bad yet) Second Day I take it to work but when I go to leave, its in neutral and stalls. Wont Start. cranks but wont catch. I dont know to much about cars, only a little, but father does most of my work but doesn't know much about subaru's. We found a -relay-(?)- under the dash that gets very hot. Small Round, 4 places to connect wires on it, its labeled 8FOB 056700-5260. He figures it the gas pump, and its here could be related to it. Supposly the fuel pump is new. There alot of electrical problems (no dash lights, clock, wires that go nowhere... nothing important.) Any ideas? -Dennis

Any and all comments wanted.!. I read all the messages and seen a few comments on a gas pump problem also, but I figured maybe is related to this -relay- thing.

Guest GeneralDisorder

Wire the fuel pump (under car, near tank) to 12v and see if it starts. If it doesn't, then your problem is elsewhere. Wish I could help more, but I don't know the EA82's well enough to help you.

GD

Guest palionsub

Things I don't Know . . . . . .

I don't know where the fuel pump relay is at.

Things that I do Know

The fuel pump relay is energized by "pulses" from the points, taken from one of the small posts on the coil. I don't know which small post (something else I don't know!). With the ignition switch on, if you remove one (one at a time) of the wires from the coil, you should hear the fuel pump come one for about two seconds.

After the two seconds, the relay drops out causing the pump to stop. This is a safety feature to keep the pump from running after the engine shuts down like in a wreck. . . . The wire being energized, (or is it de-energized?) is what causes the time delay circuit in the relay from stopping the fuel pump from pumping.

Do this after checking to be sure the fuel pump is actually working, as previously described. Don't straight wire the pump, as with a switch! "Vid this" You've just stepped out of your wrecked Subaru, smokin' a cigarette, thankful that you are OK, when the beast catches FIRE cause you forgot to turn off the fuel pump and it has pumped fuel EVERYWHERE!!

If you find the relay let me know!

Good luck and happy hunting!

Guest vondjina

Fixed. Burnted Fuel Pump relay and a few fuses.

The relay is under the dash. Round cylinder about 5cm high. Has 4 legs for wires. Its that little thing we had found. I can take pix if you want to see it. Now I have to go figure what why my dash doesn't light up and the clock doesn't work, I've already checked all the fuses.. hMmmmMM.

Guest Caboobaroo

do you have voltage at the fuse for your dash lights? I'm not sure if your clock and your dash lights are on the same circut but my guess is that they probably are. Pull the fuse out for the dash lights and use either a multimeter or a test light and put it across the connections of the fuse you just pulled. Yous hould have 12v or 0v. If you have 12 volts, then everything is hooked up right and then I don't know why its not working. If its 0v, then you have an open in the circut. If you have an open in the circut, figure out where the ground is located. Most likely it'll be bolted to the body somewhere under the dash. Check to see if its been disconnected, loose or corroded. If its loose or disconnected, it might be the same problem with the colck if the clock ground runs to the same place as the dash lights. Try it and repost so then I can help figure it out some more.