Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TPS- Repair or replace

I dont think mine is working right, don't want to spend 300 bucks. Can they be repaired, or is it replace only?

Here's the story: This is a 91 Loyale, SPFI. according to the codes, my throttle position sensor was stuck open. When I adjusted it according to specs yesterday, the old Loyale immediateley started idling and accelerating better, BUT the engine would cut out intermittantly, and then not kick back in until RPMs dropped below 1500. Kind of like the overrev protection on newer autos. Not much fun on the interstate! So I put it back in the original position and the problem went away.

Do these things have replaceable parts, can they be cleaned, or am I stuck with buying a new one?

I thought mine had crapped out. The other day I just did a thourough check of the areas where the accelerator lever touches that button thing, to discover the rubber around the button was cracked, causing it to stick, so I removed the rubber, and the problem is gone.

I don't see the button thing - is it on the throttle cable side of the throttle body?

I thought mine had crapped out. The other day I just did a thourough check of the areas where the accelerator lever touches that button thing, to discover the rubber around the button was cracked, causing it to stick, so I removed the rubber, and the problem is gone.

autozone has the coolant temp, not sure about the TPS though. make sure the wiring harness connector is good and the wiring to the TPS is good.

also be sure the throttle plate isn't sticking. check the cables and pull the intake hose off the throttle body and see how dirty/clean the throttle plate is. they can easily stick, causing issues.

if you still suspect the TPS, just pick up a used unit for a couple dollars from someone or a yard. they don't fail very often so they should be easy to pick up.

this may have nothing to do with you...you have a different motor than an EA82 right? the FSM for the XT6...maybe the XT if it has the same TPS, is wrong. if you try to adjust it to spec's from the FSM it won't work.

emailed milesfox - he was talking about the temp sensor. He also suggested cleaning the contacts, that didin't help.

However, with the TPS misadjusted like it is now, the only noticeable symptom is a really poor idle when cold. I'm thinking I'll just leave it alone until I find a used one for a few bucks.

i could be wrong, either tps or coolant temp at autozone

Have now checked throttle plate, connectors and harness, all are fine. I like the idea of picking up a used one. The car seems to run fine, so it can wait.

autozone has the coolant temp, not sure about the TPS though. make sure the wiring harness connector is good and the wiring to the TPS is good.

also be sure the throttle plate isn't sticking. check the cables and pull the intake hose off the throttle body and see how dirty/clean the throttle plate is. they can easily stick, causing issues.

if you still suspect the TPS, just pick up a used unit for a couple dollars from someone or a yard. they don't fail very often so they should be easy to pick up.

this may have nothing to do with you...you have a different motor than an EA82 right? the FSM for the XT6...maybe the XT if it has the same TPS, is wrong. if you try to adjust it to spec's from the FSM it won't work.

I have a stock EA82, 2WD, 5SPD Manual

Just thought I would close this thread out. Miles Fox suggested taking the TPS off and cleaning it. I did that, spraying electronic cleaner in there while moving the rheostat back and forth. No change, but I started wondering, what will different positions cause? The idle switch wasn't working anyhow, so what the heck.

I played around with it over the past week or so. Other than idle speed changing, there wasn't much difference that I could feel over the entire range.

Yesterday I re-adjusted it according to specs, and the original problem is now gone! I figure that something inside got cleaned off, it just took a while.

Thanks to everyone for their suggstions. - Saved some bucks!

Good to here, especially since it turns out, I didn't fix my own problem. Thing's a pain to take on and off though without dropping screws.

You got that right! I had to take the AC Compressor off to get one of them

back in, then dropped the other one twice and had to go find a replacment.