Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dropping the RX 2-3 inches...*dropped w/pics*

WJM

Any problems with this?

I plan on using 1985 XT turbo 2wd struts and springs for the actual cutting and lowering...maybe the RX struts with the XT springs...Im experimenting with camber, conering, centerof gravity and overall driveability of such a move.

So....anyone see any flaws to this....?

the diff cant go up, or it would be in the gas tank. :drunk:

And...i dont care if the axels level out, I need new ones anyhow. and, why would that matter? As far as the diff scraping...im not worried about it...i'll make a protector if its a problem :drunk:

And...I hope it would change the front geometry by giving me some CAMBER of the negative kind....:headbang:

Gotta love these icons! :moon:

LOL

Ok, anyone else?

I just did some similar work on my '87 RX. Here's what I did.

1) I decided to retain the RX struts, they weren't leaking and the dampening force is much higher than any other EA82.

2) I kept the front springs, they have the highest spring rate of the EA82's except maybe the XT6. I did however cut 1/2 coil from the spring and reshaped them for the spring pocket, lowering the car about 1/1.5 inches.

3) I replaced the rear springs with 4wd wagon springs. They have a higher spring rate than the RX and they are longer. I cut 1 coils off these springs and reshaped them for the spring pocket. This made up for the additional length and lowered the car about 1/1.5 inches.

Note: after cutting the rear springs 1 coil they were just long enough to have tension with the strut fully extended. Any shorter and the might make funny noise or even come out of the spring pockets when the suspension is unloaded.

4) I replaced the stock 18mm front sway bar with a 19mm unit from a RX sedan and the 16mm rear sway bar with a 20mm unit from a XT Turbo.

It took just a few hours for this ghetto job. I would like to lower the car more and look for springs and/or struts from other cars that might work since after market EA82 performance suspension parts are rare.

The car has a much more appealing stance now and handles MUCH better! Overall I'm pleased but would like to do much more.:burnout:

I got the desired drop on the front by directy swapping the RX spring/strut out and installing ones from a 1985 XT Turbo 2WD Manual.

BUT...when I swapped out on the rear...it was another 1.5 inches high. It looked rediculous...so, after some calculation...I will take those rear springs and cut them tomorrow...4 coils. Yeah, its a lot, but hey, Ive got extras. Pics to come when I get the rear down.

The camber is now to ZERO on the front.

Ok, its dropped. 2.5 inches in front, and only 1.5 inches in back....but I like it like that.

Stock XT turbo 2wd struts and springs dropped directy on the front, strut tower tops and all.

On the back, the XT shocks where 1.5 inches TALLER than the RX ones, But the XT springs are shorter by a little and have less spring rate...so I dropped them on the RX shocks.

BAM. There we go. Pics to come soon....like today I hope.

So wait a minute here... XT rear shocks are LONGER than RX rears? Is that something specific to the RX or just the 3-door? I want to get the back of my XT down a little bit (already got the front down with 2WD struts)

So if I put on RX (or 3-door) rear shocks, it should bring the back down a little?