Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My dad and I recently aquired a 1992 Subaru SVX Lsi. We're eager to ride this nice looking car, but it needs some work. The problem we found so far was the left (drivers side) exhaust camshaft (lower). The front of the shaft is damaged, it is .050 underside and the dowel pin hole is damaged so the pully has play on the camshaft. The car did not start, even with the mounting screw tightend. We are not sure what to do.

The cost of a new camshaft would be about $400, its to expensive for us. We heard it is possible to fix it by welding and grinding. I would like to know if this had happened to anyone else here before.

Also If someone has or knows about a scrap motor, please contact us so we can buy it for parts. We apreciate anyone's help.

PS: Pictures attached.

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF009.jpg

any good machine shop should be able to fix that like pat just mentioned. i'd look to go that route. you should be able to find a used one as well, it's not normally a wear item so i'd never even think to replace it with a new one.

any idea how the damage happened? if it's due to impact i would probably replace rather than repair it as it could be out of balance or warped or something not worth messing with.

The cause of damage is not exactly known, but It seems that the sprocket did become loose and cause the damage. Under close inspection of the camshaft it seems like someone had already tried welding and grinding. But who knows how they did it, with what quality, and the persons experience. Obviously it failed again. What could be another factor that could of caused this to happen?

When we place the sprocket on the cam, and twist the sprocket, the play is about 2 gears. Is that enough to keep the engine from starting? My dad said that it sounded like it wanted to start when he was cranking it.

About the munged (stuck) possiblity. It's not possible (maybe I'm wrong?) becuase the sprocket is on the exhaust cam only, and the exhaust cam runs the intake cam via the gear, so its always in good position exept the play with the sprocket. Thanks for the quick replies already.

...About the munged (stuck) possiblity. It's not possible (maybe I'm wrong?) becuase the sprocket is on the exhaust cam only, and the exhaust cam runs the intake cam via the gear, so its always in good position exept the play with the sprocket. Thanks for the quick replies already.

Munged meant more like "bent". I am NOT familiar with this engine, but it sounds like the intake and exhaust cams were still synchronized with each other by gears? If so, sounds like the valves are OK unless someone knows better. :grin: