Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hiking trails on Olympic Peninsula? Hwy 101 status?

How far up 101 are you planning to go? There are a bunch of good ones that my wife and I like all the way up, just around the corner from Neah Bay.

Another good option is to go to Ocean Shores. Not too far away, and I SWEAR that place has some kind of healing effect on the human soul....its amazing.

McBrat,

Man you can hardly go wrong in Oly National Park. Hands down some of the most beautiful areas the northwest has to offer.

Ho River area has some pretty intense rain forest. Just pick any trail that suits your desired distance.

More toward the coast there are a few trails through the forrest to the beach. I am very fond of the beaches on the peninsula, very unlike any of the oregon coast or cali beaches.....

I'll try to remember to bring my Olypics hiking guide book to wcss7

garner

I have not gone as far west as Forks on 101, but in general it is a well-traveled, good condition 2-lane. It handles all of the commercial travel on the north of the Olympic Peninsula. "All" means a lot of logging trucks, so watch out for them. Lots of RV traffic, boats, trailers; should be no problem.

If this were Winter I would warn you to watch for salmon swimming across the roadway near Brinnon (kind of due west from me, across the Hood Canal, on the Oly-Pen).

they are doin road work on parts of 101. actually most of it is pretty good road. its kinda windey. you could just bring along your tralior. i dont go hiking very often so i cant help you there. i know in quinalt, there is a rainforest. it is kinda short trail though. its really neat back in there though.

they are doin road work on parts of 101...

It is Washington...

... it is Summer...

... they are doing road work on ALL of the roads!!! :lol:

Very good point, soobmater. For those coming from out of area:

Expect roadwork delays on all major highways in the PNW during the Summer.

*edit - above was edited to coverup my lack of social skills. My apologies to soobmater :) . end edit*

well i know i was just tellin him that they are doin road workicon7.gif

ABSOLUTELY a good piece of information!!! :) :)

I just take it as a fact of life. I had meant for it to be info for out-of-area people, but I see how it might sound hostile towards you; NOT my intent. I will go back and try to make my post a little more friendly.

hey lol its ok. u actually made a very good point. they are constantly workin on roads in the summer in washington. there are 4 ways pretty much out of hear, and 2 of them are being tore up and rebuilt and another one has road workers scattered out here and there.

For decades, I drove I-5 between SF-area and Seattle-area, and it was pretty much taken for granted that there would be at least 5 major construction project on I-5 along the way during the good-weather months. Winter trips were always faster, even with bad weather...