Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1997 Subaru Outback , Starter Replcement

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 peryea

peryea

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • lINCOLN vERMONT

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:46 AM

I think the starter on my `1997 outback needs to be replaced. Does anyone know HOW ???? Is it hard to do ???? Thanks !! peryea

#2 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • Walden

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:09 AM

you need to go to the newer generation forum.this forum is for cars 1980 and older

#3 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,893 posts
  • WV

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:09 PM

starter shouldn't be going out this soon. are you sure your battery cables are on the battery posts tight? any corrosion around the battery terminals? try to jump the car with cables, if that works fine then the starter is fine. if you're stuck, knock the starter a couple times with a hammer and it'll keep working (that's not a joke). i did that to mine in january (on my 89 XT6) and it's been working fine since....which reminds me i meant to replace that when it got warmer. thanks for reminding me.

it's really easy. i saw my 97 outback starter while changing the plugs the other day, looked straight forward to replace. probably 2 bolts and the electrical connections to get it out. it's a little tight back there but looks fine. go at it, it's only two bolts!

#4 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,909 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 05 July 2005 - 08:27 PM

Not hard, the bottom nut can be a pain sometimes. Otherwise disconnect the battery, pull the positive lead and switch wire off the starter. Pull the bottom nut 17mm, pull the top bolt 14mm. Put it all back the other way.

#5 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:13 PM

Another suggestion--use the search function. Topic has been discussed a lot in the past year.

#6 Andyjo

Andyjo

I'm Not Austin!

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Windham NH

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:18 PM

I think i have a similar problem, whenever it's sort of cold out, i turn on the car, and right after the motor catches and fires up there's a scraching noise. I'm guessing it's the spring that disengages the starter... any thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users