Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lets talk about rust.

So i removed the rear bumper on the RX (pics to come!) and thought i would find the rest of the little spot of rust thats barely visible....only to find there's a whole row of rust thats gone thur the body now that the bumper is off and the trim panel is off and I can see it all.

So....what recommendations do you guys have on fixing/stopping the rust?

EDIT! Pics!

DSCF4260.JPG

depends if you want to do it cheap, or the right way.if it is under the bumper, i would just sand the rust of with an orbital sander, then primer, than undercoat it.it would never spread any further.you could also sand, bondo, sand, primer, paint.or you can cut out the rust and put a new panel in with pop rivets, then smooth it out with fiberglass.if there is a certain method you want, i can explain it in further detail.maaco would do it cheap.

-Jon

finding the source of any water entry. if your rx is a 3door i would suspect the wing mounting as my rx is all rusted behind the license plate and underneath below the cargo box as a result of a hole rusted under the middle of the wing.

my sedan was rusted on the driver rear wheel arch because a hole had rusted behind the trim on the side of the back window, causing water entry thus rusting the wheel arch

anyone posting info on this is a huge help because there isn't a ton of information around on body work and rust. but some of us need it. mine isn't even that bad. so thanks again, i don't know body work from snail psychology.

none of the frame or body panels are stainless steel are they? just steel/iron right? (for choice of welder).

what if you're fixing exposed body parts/panels? does fiberglass show and does it hold up over time?

i don`t believe subaru`s have any stainless.if the rust is sanded or cut out and primered and the fiberglass is applied correctly, it will hold up well.bondo usually starts cracking after a couple years.its worth taking your time on body work.it can always be sanded down and fixed again if you do mess up.there is alot of body shops out there who will do work cheap also. alot of them have like no overhead, so the money is mostly profit.

2 ways to handle rust.

#1 "Pimp my ride way" Sand and bondo and sand again :lol:

#2 "Overhaulin way" Sand, cut out all cancer, create new metal panel, weld into place, grind welds, fill any light surface deviations, prime, paint to match.

I try to stay as close to #2 as possible, though may dabble in #1 here and there in difficult and seldom seen areas. For example the bobbed tail of my brat is has alot of bondo to make the body line flow rather than custom metal work.

Non Structural areas - just stop it from spreading.

Structural areas - welding is the only way. Its easiest to weld in a patch slightly below the original panel, so that you can add filler to give a perfect finish. A MIG or TIG welder is your best bet. Watch out for factory brazings - like at the top of the A pillars for example. Best to remove these before welding.

i took the buggy to a professional to finish up my rust repair. i hacked out most of the rust with a dremel and an angle grinder. i used a stripping/polishing disc on my angle grinder to make short work of getting the less nasty surface rust and paint off. my body guy welded new steel in, smoothed everything out, and primered it up for me. looks as good as new, minus the spray bomb job i did myself. oh well... the paint is only temporary.

i cut out the rust in the rear fenders, sanded out any remaining rust, covered the entire area including hte wheel well with rubber under caoting, the pop riveted aluminum sheet metal over the holes and even reconstructed the shape to the fenders, then wen crazy with the rubber coating to make sure that water and moisture never see that area again. i think the rubber finally got to be about 1/4" thick around the rust prone bits. and thats the rubber spray that doesnt build up easily. when in doubt, overkill.

needless to say, im going to get it prefessionally fixed one day when i can save to money to do it, and once its back on the road.

anyone posting info on this is a huge help because there isn't a ton of information around on body work and rust. but some of us need it. mine isn't even that bad. so thanks again, i don't know body work from snail psychology.

gary, i can help you out with some of your body work, we can talk when you get the pistons.

something like this can be sanded/blasted off and painted over. check how the rust behind the metal and treat it as well

cutting and welding should only be necessary if its rusted through the car, such as wheelarches are gone or the bottoms of the fenders are missing

anywhere that holds moisture can draw rust, make sure all the drain holes are clear and check behind the bottoms of the front fenders, unbolt them anc clean out the dirt/leaves that accumulate there. wash up inside the fender lips and anywhere dirt may settle and hang out

So i removed the rear bumper on the RX (pics to come!) and thought i would find the rest of the little spot of rust thats barely visible....only to find there's a whole row of rust thats gone thur the body now that the bumper is off and the trim panel is off and I can see it all.

So....what recommendations do you guys have on fixing/stopping the rust?

EDIT! Pics!

DSCF4260.JPG

grind /cut out the rusted areas with a dremmel.prime it.pop rivet light bendable sheet metal in there.then por-15 it front and back,it will never rust again.the spot that goes above the bumper, sand it to bare metal.put a drop of body putty w/hardner.smooth it out and sand it to the shape of the car.tape off around this area.then prime it with white primer, then paint it with krylon glossy white.it will hardly be noticed in such a tight spot.

-Jon

Here's what I see happening.

You properly fix all the rust you currently find. Following years you see where it starts rusting out in places that were seamingly nothing before. Most often what happens is it rusts from the inside out; gotta get inside and see it before it works its way through to the other side.

If you dont tear it down to nothing and get it all you will just keep fighting it year after year in new spots. Just my opinion however.