Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This is why safe towpoints are required...

MorganM

... this happend over 4 years ago. Before I had a lift I still loved getting the '88 2WD GL dirty. Well I didnt hit this huge puddle in an abandoned parking lot fast enough and was stuck. Arch came with his dad's truck and pulled me out backwards. On the las yank it ripped clean off. Thankfully that last yank pulled me out.

stock_towpoints_suck.jpg

Above it now you can see in it's place I have the custom bumpers bolted where the stock bumpers bolt on. They are bolted on with .5" grade 8 SAE (have to waller out the holes a little for the larger bolts). At the end are screw tight clevis. Much more secure towpoints :)

custom_bumpers-01.JPG

It really is for everyone's safety!

I second the motion...

I ripped out my rear tie-down on my Hatch years ago when the car was basically new (no rust).

When the tie-down gave way it dented the panel under the bumper as it shot out. :banghead:

The sad part is, I didn't want to hook it to that tie-down but let someone talk me into it :-p

I'll never tow with any stock tie-down point again.

...and don't even think about hooking anything to your stock bumper...

Now I have real tow Points....http://usmb.net/gallery/albuo21/MVC_166F

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

yes, are the mounting holes for the stock bumper strong enough even with grade 5 bolts in them? the holes could always rip out and that'd be a shame... maybe weld in some 1/4" plate steel around the holes? not knocking your setup as I think it's awesome, just throwing out different POV like usual

There is no frame. They are 1/2" grade 8 bolts. I've been winched out once and towed out once with them. You cant get a welder up in the rear where you'd want to reinforce the area; front would be doable for reinforcment. Rear you would have to cut away where you see that hole and even then it would be really tight with a stick welder.

They are stronger than stock tow points / tie downs.

my question is...how good is your frame? would hate to see someone hook onto those nice d rings and yank your bumper off. :brow:

i dunno about that bumper.. ive been stuck before in an isuzu trooper.. without tow hooks, we were forced to use the bumper to pull on..

long story short, the bumper flew off, hit a guy in the leg and snapped his leg in half :-\

i dunno about that bumper.. ive been stuck before in an isuzu trooper.. without tow hooks, we were forced to use the bumper to pull on..

long story short, the bumper flew off, hit a guy in the leg and snapped his leg in half :-\

That Trooper should have had a nice hook bolted to the frame from the factory??? Someone musta removed that baby!

When will people learn---Bumpers are not tow points.

Neither are suspension parts! Seen several bent suspension components from morons hooking onto them and pulling ppl out.

yeah.. early march a friend asked me to bring my jeep back in the woods and pull out his friend because I was the only one he knew with 4x4... I ended up driving 6 miles down a 4 wheeler trail with 1.5' of snow on it, and then I got to the trail the kid was on.

he was at his parent's camp, and attemtped to pull off the trail to turn around. unfortunately for his parent's brand new jeep grand cherokee, the snow was too soft off the side, and the kid got stuck but good. he was about 2500' down the trail from the beginning, and there was no way to turn around once I got to him.

I ended up backing down the trail to where he was stuck, the back of my jeep to the back of his daddy's grand cherokee off the showroom floor the week befo'.

grabbed tow-strap... look around on cherokee, and there's no tow points :confused:

needless to say I hooked it around either the kid's rear diff or a strut mount, and then we yanked on that sucker... we had to yank on it so hard to get out we had a tow-strap that was broken up into little bits when we were done....

I haven't really seen him since then so I dont' know if he needed an alignment afterwards or what, but there was literally nowhere to hook a tow-rope on that thing, either suspension or rear diff

Neither are suspension parts! Seen several bent suspension components from morons hooking onto them and pulling ppl out.

I've always had good luck with suspension parts. Guess that depends on what your yanking on? :cool: