Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 to EA82T swap - wiring questions

diluded000

I pulled an '86 EA82T to put in my carb'd '85 EA82 wagon. Even though it was like 120F in that closed up car, I pulled the complete dash, wiring harness, ECU, digi-dash, and any electrical part that looked like it needed. My donor car had crusie control, power everything, adjustable ride height, etc, but the car it is going into doesn't have all this. So I am considering my options, but need some advice on the best one:

1) Pull the non-turbo wiring harness and put the turbo in. It seems like I will have about 20 un-used connectors for the cruise, power options, etc. Does anyone know if my lights and sensors (fuel & temp) will plug into the new harness, or will I be cutting and splicing?

2) Pull the engine management connectors out of my donor wiring harness and run dual ECUs. That way I keep my lights and sensors running, but use the turbo ECU to run the motor. Has anyone tried this?

3) Change the jumper on my existing ECU for turbo, and plug the new wiring into this. I have read secondhand reports of this jumper, but never seen a picture or had enough detail to know what to do.

4) Roll my own ECU with a laptop. Weeder makes a stackable 8-input analog to digital serial board for $59 (USD) bucks. I read a good bit on Mega-squirt but I haven't written assembly language for that family controller since college, and even then it wasn't much - so I could likely make my own version in the time it would take to learn their system. I can write Qbasic or Linux C code for a serial port sensor input from the Weeder, and use the parallel port to drive the output like a stepper controlled waste gate, and injectors. I built a parallel port CNC controller from scratch that runs on a Pentium 100 (inexpensive) laptop, so I am pretty sure I could get something driving some solenoids and a stepper. This wouldn't be easy, but the hardest part for me would knowing what voltage on a sensor correspond to what PSI or temp, then what to do with that information after I get it. Writing something that acutally gets the motor started would be tough.

Anyhow, if anybody has done a non-turbo to turbo motor swap I would really appreciate hearing the easiest way to get the engine ECU controlled.

- James B

youre best bet would be to probably just strip the harness down to only the wires needed to run the motor, since it seems like you have wiring experience, that makes the most sense, and its a bit easy than basically building your own ecu and timing/fuel/boost maps. is you dont have CC on oyur car and want it, keep the wires for CC and grab all the mechanical components and add it to your car. its too much work to try to take out 2 harnesses, just take out one and run the motor off it. your stock gauges for temp, tach and speedo should all be normal, oyu might have to splice a couple, but after stripping a harness down thats nothing to worry about.

Good luck,

~Josh~

Josh,

The part about too much work taking two wiring harnesses out is right on. I like the sounds of stripping out the motor control connectors, and leaving the rest as is. If it ain't broke . . .

I still wanna make my own ECU, but would like to experiment on a motor that I know runs first.

thanks

James B