Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mud is fun, but it's gross...

samo

Took the wagon through a semi-deep (2' or so) mud hole on Saturday, and now the interior is just downright disgusting. I got most of the mud out, but I can see why a lot of you guys don't use carpeting.

For those of you who have no carpeting, how do you hide all the wiring that normally hides underneath? Anybody Rhino-lined their floors for better grip?

I ripped out all the interior carpet and padding. Then threw down the floor mats. Cover the wiring? Naw its cool I just left it all as is. A lot of it is taped down from the factory and they have brackets holding it all in place. The connections appear to be at least water resistant if not 'water proof'.

The mud really is just a mess and I'm getting pretty sick of it. It just gets EVERYWHERE and makes a huge mess to clean up and repairs more difficult.

PICT0071.jpg

PICT0072.jpg

I really only go through it when I have to as part of a trail now. No more mud pits for me! :-p

Why not get some heavy-duty door seals?

In that second pic of the mud inside my cab. Notice the big fist size hole. Its kinda hard to see becuase the ground is pretty much the same color as the body. The doors seal okay... its the fist size holes in multiple spots that get me! :lol:

Get yourself a pressure washer, and nail the inside :brow:

Pressure washer on the cheap... if ya got an air compressor that is...

Hook up a cheap sand blaster gun to an air supply buy a garden hose hose clamp it to the siphon point of the gun turn on the water and there ya go.... not as powerful as a pressure washer but it gets the job done

I used rubberized underbody coating on mine and it stunk for weeks and tended to smear in hot weather. So then as an experiment I shot some spraycan truck bed coating over the underbody coating. Not a good idea... it cracked and then smeared. So then I stripped off the under coating and took it down to just the tar mats and paint and sprayed on multiple coats of truck bed liner. That works ok but worth the trouble??? No way. Real Rhino Liner or equivilent would be nice but don't bother with the cheap stuff. Doing it again I'd just toss the carpets and tar mats and hammer the floor boards so the muck drains out the drain holes better. Oh yeah, the vintage 1980 vinyl floor mats I got from Zap work great. They deaden some road noise and who cares if they get wet.

that is some nasty mud morgan. the mud is only fun until you have to wash it.

i have to agree with soobmater,looks really nasty.almost looks like....? um melted brownies or something.as far as cleaning the mud out,i've never had to cause i never let it in.

:grin:

that is some nasty mud morgan. the mud is only fun until you have to wash it.

Ya it was about the consistancy and color of molten clay. It wouldnt really drain out or drip off. Just had to wait for it to dry and break off the thick skin.