Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electrical Problems

Now it won't start--no gas in the carb. I had gas pressure right up to the carb so I figured the pump, filter, etc were ok. The carb is leaking a bit and the engine has been complaining so I figured it was time for a rebuild (no suprise after 202K miles). I disconnected the 22 hoses to the carb and air cleaner and pulled it off.

As an after thought, I checked the voltage at the three wire connector that goes to the carb. It measured only a little more than 5 volts. I assume I should be getting 12 volts. I suspect this might be the source of my problem as the idle shut-off solenoid might not be opening.

I'm not overjoyed at wrestling with that rat's nest of wires under the dash and neither Chilton nor Haynes has a wiring diagram that exactly matches my car. A suggestion from someone who has conquered a similar problem would be appreciated. Is there a specific relay or connection that tends to corrode that I should look for first? Thanks for any help.

Steve

'87 Hatchback w/ EA82 & Hitachi carb

Well, I thought that would be the problem and prepared to spend the day looking for a bad connection.

But looking through my Haynes manual, it shows how to check the voltage to the automatic choke and the value on the meter shown is 6 volts.

Now I'm discouraged. The voltage I'm getting to the connector may be ok after all. I expected to see battery voltage and I can't see any device on my wiring diagram which would reduce the voltage.

What is the proper voltage to the plug for the carb? I'm new to this group and any help would be appreciated.

Tnx, Steve

I would assume that the device is controlled through the ECU. If that is so, then the drop in voltage will be from there most likely.

You should also be able to measure the resistance of the solenoid coil to see if that is ok.

The anti-diesel solenoid (and electric choke) should just be controlled by power from the igniton switch, possibly with a relay but probably not. I couldn't find a wiring diagram for anything near an 87 EA81, but my 1981 FSM suggests that there are inline fuses for both the electric choke and the ADS; it also suggests that the two share a connector, but not necessarily a power wire. Were there 2 wires at the connector that you tested, and did you test from wire to ground? Again, I am looking at diagrams for an MY81...

Mine is an EA82 with no ECU. The only wiring diagram I have (from Chilton's) shows that the voltage is supplied when the ignition is on. Which is why I expected battery voltage and not 5+ volts. I guess I'm gonna have to find a bad ground or maybe a half-bad fusable link :).

The carb connector has 3 wires- ADS, choke and vent valve solenoid. This connector has the 5 volts when I checked it with the ignition on. Does anyone know the voltage that these are supposed to run on? Maybe I could wire these temporarily to get the beast home. It's stranded at a friends house about an hour away.

Since I had the carb out, I've been rebuilding it. The worst part- the screws are very tight. I've got it all apart and cleaned and the sun has set on my picnic table. Maybe the wife will let me bring it in on the dining room table.

Thanks for the feedback.

I Had A Similar Problem. The First Thing I Did Was Cutthe Gasket On Top Of The Needle. The Cork Gasket Sagged Into The Hole.it Wasn't Letting It Move Up Far Enough To Feed Fuel. The Next Time I Took The Needles And Springs Out Of The Electric Solinoids.both Of Them . The Car Ran Great After That.you Can Buy These At Napa. Rather Exspensive

6 Subie Wagons And Counting