Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New here and i know you are all tired of this but i have a 96 OB 2.5l and would like better Gas mileage!!! any ideas/suggestions?? i have changed all fluids and have a K&N. I get 21/22mpg average 24/26 would be nice

Any one tries Unorthodox pulleys?? or know of other prformance parts for this beast?

My suggestions for better gas mileage, that have not already been mentioned:

• Keep the speed down
  • Pay attention to your use of the gas pedal – avoid accelerating hard. Drive like there is an egg between your foot and the pedals.
  • Use cruise control on the highway
  • When you change fluids, use only synthetics
  • Run your tires at a slightly higher pressure
  • Verify your toe-in (alignment) is correct or slightly less then specified. I request half the specified toe-in, but many shops won’t give you a non-OEM specified alignment. It reduces rolling resistance, at the expense of some straight line stability.

Basically, insure the car is in good shape, Use common sense in your driving and use good products for your maintenance procedures. In my opinion, you won’t recover the cost of under drive pulleys, etc., in fuel consumption.

If you really want better mileage, get a two wheel drive car. The AWD costs plenty in the mileage department.

Jack