Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Curious (temperature-related) problem!

Hi Fellow Subaru owners.

This is my first post and it is about a strange problem.

The (original) remote locker on my 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback unlocks all four doors when the ambient temperature is below around 60-65 degrees F. So it works fine in the winters up here in Boston, but when it gets warmer, only the driver's door unlocks!!

What could be going on?

Cheers :)

Maybe the car is "smart"

It knows that in the winter, you may need to give rides to people because their cars cant handle the weather. but in the summer time, you won't be giving as many rides, so it only unlocks your door.

sorry, I really have no idea.

I would second the «warmer climate loosens some connection» theory.

As for the «smart car» theory, there's a simple way to test it. Next time you're drunk, try opening the doors with the remote. If no door opens, then the theory stands..

I can't really help either.

But, I have a similar problem with my overhead garage-door opener. During the winter, when the garage is colder, the opener works fine. But in the summer months, the door will close on its own, usually just a few seconds after it has been opened.

Its been like this for a few years now, and is quite repeatable. Definately temperature-related. I assume that something happens to an internal electronic component, which changes the device's logic.

Maybe your remote is doing the same?

Wait, I thought of a way I can help!!!

I kinda doubt it's the remote- so to test that, put your keys in the fridge on a hot summer day. then go out and open the car. if it unlocks 1 door, there's something in the car. if it unlock all 4 doors, then it's the key fob.

Wait, I thought of a way I can help!!!

I kinda doubt it's the remote- so to test that, put your keys in the fridge on a hot summer day. then go out and open the car. if it unlocks 1 door, there's something in the car. if it unlock all 4 doors, then it's the key fob.

Brilliant, bjwirth!

There is a switch mounted with the lock mechanism that controls the other door locks. The switch activates when the mechanism is moved either with the key or the remote system. It sounds like you may be able to clean the switch contacts and all will be fine. It could also be a broken wire in the door jam tied to that switch but hopefully that is not the case. You will have to get in the door and check things out.

There is a switch mounted with the lock mechanism that controls the other door locks. The switch activates when the mechanism is moved either with the key or the remote system. It sounds like you may be able to clean the switch contacts and all will be fine. It could also be a broken wire in the door jam tied to that switch but hopefully that is not the case. You will have to get in the door and check things out.

Thanks Glen, while the other postings were definitely entertaining and appreciated, I have to give you the prize for the most useful reply.

I have two follow-up questions:

1) Since I'm not familiar with how to get in the door, can you advise me on the matter or tell me if there's a way for me to access the relevant pages of the manual on line, and

2) are you pretty sure that upon getting inside the door I will in fact find that switch?

Thanks a bunch :)

Here is a link to a post that shows the switch that is in the door.

http://www.rweddysolutions.com/Subaru96fix

The door panel needs to be pryed off. There are some plastic posts that stick in a hole that hold them in. Try to locate them with a small putty knife and wedge them out of there hole.

Thanks Glen.

That's really amazing that you would have the exact information that I was looking for!

I have an unrelated question:

If I were to click on "Post Reply" as opposed to "Reply" would my reply go to everyone on the board (as opposed to just you?).

Thanks again.

Let me try to be less entertaining and more informative. :)

About the inside door panel removal: there are hidden plastic clips (along the edges) that you pry off like Cougar said : with a putty knive or a large flat blade screw driver. There is also a bigger clip near the front of the panel that you can remove with a flat blade screw driver. Its head is accessible. You pry off the top clips (along the window's edge) last by pulling up on the inside door panel.

You also have to first remove two screws : one is in the door handle recess and the other one is right under the arm rest. Both are covered with plastic caps.

Hope that helps.

Thank you Giles.

Darius :)

Let me try to be less entertaining and more informative. :)

About the inside door panel removal: there are hidden plastic clips (along the edges) that you pry off like Cougar said : with a putty knive or a large flat blade screw driver. There is also a bigger clip near the front of the panel that you can remove with a flat blade screw driver. Its head is accessible. You pry off the top clips (along the window's edge) last by pulling up on the inside door panel.

You also have to first remove two screws : one is in the door handle recess and the other one is right under the arm rest. Both are covered with plastic caps.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Glen.

That's really amazing that you would have the exact information that I was looking for!

I have an unrelated question:

If I were to click on "Post Reply" as opposed to "Reply" would my reply go to everyone on the board (as opposed to just you?).

Thanks again.

When you click on 'Reply' instead of Post it highlights and quotes the response that you click on. Using the Post will just put in whatever you type in it. Everybody sees all of the posts either way.