Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electrical issue when starting 2000 Forester

Hi, thanks for reading this.

On two occasions in the last week, i've had an issue when attempting to start my Forester. When I turn the key in the ignition, the lights/electricity flickers etc, and I lose all power. (to everything, i.e. time, radio presets etc lost).

I'll try it again a few times with no power, then I'll get partial power (radio, internal lights etc), and then I'll lose all power again. Once I opened the door, and all power came back. (until i tried to start it again)

The car either starts very easily, or doesn't turn over at all. When it doesnt turn over, the lights flicker etc and I temporarily lose all or partial power.

This has happened twice in the last week, the first time it started up with no issue after about 30 minutes and about a dozen failed attempts. The most recent time, I gave up and took a cab to work, and it started (on the 3rd attempt) later that evening. I've started it about 5 times since with no issue at all.

On both incidents, it happened after making a brief stop at a store.

I haven't installed anything or had any work done to the forester recently, the battery is about 2 years old and the alternater has never been serviced. (130K on this car)

It sounds like a short somewhere, and/or an issue with the starter. My question is, has anyone seen this issue before? My concern is that it will be difficult for a mechanic to troubleshoot if the car starts with no issue when they investigate.

Also, is this something I should let the dealership resolve?

thanks in advance,

Steve...

It sounds to me like a bad ground connection. This can be caused by a few things. Since other things are affected like the radio and lights I don't think it is a problem with the starter, more like battery connection. First thing to check is the connections directly on the battery. Make sure they are good and tight and there is no white corrosion. Also, if you follow the black wire off the battery it should go and bolt to something on the car like the body or maybe the engine. Make sure that is tight and isn't rusted or corroded.

Keith

It could be a bad ground connection as RallyKeith says. Your problem is not a short, but it is a bad connection and is most likely near the battery. Remove the battery connections and clean them along with the posts with a battery cleaning brush. If that doesn't fix the problem then check the smaller wire connected to the positive battery post. This wire supplies power to all the accessories of the car. The problem may also be due to a bad fusible link connection.