Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just got a call from my wife in our 04 h6 3.0 outback. Car is stuttering at around 45 and at about 65mph. Had a similiar problem back last october. No CEL's, and so no codes. Another dealer finally diagnosed it as faulty TPS as he had replaced six of them for similiar symptons. Problems went away. I just drove it on a thousand mile trip and of course saw no problems. Yes, my wife did some of the driving so it should have showed up if it were somehting peculiar to her style.

Seems to show up at the same point, about three hours of driving at highway speed. Have seen a post about "worn spots" in the TPS in the normal driving speed range. This seems plausible, most of the city driving is about 45, most of the highway is 65.

Anyone else seeing this type of problem. First occurred at 6700 miles, then again at 12,000. There may have been no extended trips in the interim. The current TPS has about 12k- 15k on it, about 9 months of use.

Last time it deteriorated to the point where the throttle would stick and I filed a complaint on the NHTSA board.

Saw one comment that a tech bulletin was out on this. Anyone know of its location?

happy trails.

thanks for the input. yea the tps is under warranty but dealers are not prone to replacing items that have not triggered a MIL , generated a code and given them a freeze frame. the failures the tps are suffeing are not tripping the MIL because it is not a monitored failure pattern apparently. Dealer logic is no code equals no problem. There is no financial incentive to troubleshoot and therefore it is not done. The trick, from my perspective as a customer, is to find a technican that has the imagination to look for the cause and not hunt for a code producer. If it is not a monitored value then you are not going to get notified by the diagnostic system.

I have found four reports of similiar troubles on the NHTSA web site. I figure maybe 1% of people will take the trouble to file a report for something like this. That is a lot of unreported (400) TPS troubles

By the way, does your racecar have a carb or is it injected with a tps?

my rally car is fuel injected...

and i cant say i've had this issue.

i would like to believe that a competent dealership

(i work for one!)

would be able to sort you out

shame that you are still having issues

and it's not been taken care of :(

Jamie

went back to the dealer this morn to have a quiet conversation about this recurring problem. They are going to measure the tps voltage and see if it matches the problem last time. Had .48volts at 12% opening . I think the problem is solveable since we know the symptoms and have seen a pattern. Do you know of any way to take a freeze frame thru bypassing the MIL so I can get some data for them? Seems like if i can trigger the circuit that the MIL triggers I can gather some data.

Anyway thanks for the input.