Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sonofa...pioneer stereo too big!

ok so i busted rump roast all day to install a system into our loyale. i mounted new front speakers, i ran wires for amps under the seats, i cleaned off my power window switches so they will work, i even built a sub box/rear speaker box to stash in the wedge behind the back seat between the seat and the dog barrier. i work ALL day from 9am to 2am and when i go to mount up the head unit i am sickened to learn that it is too long and will not fit in with the oem mounting brackets or face/trim. there is some black box behind it, looks like part of the vent system or something.

anyway, i searched around and saw some threads on two different aftermarket DIN trim pieces, but i wonder do they add some thickness to the front for longer than OEM stereos? anyone else had this issue? which trim did you get to fix it?

thanks

droo

when i installed a new stereo in my 83 i ran into that same problem. I solved it by moving the stereo down to where the small package tray/storage area was and moving the storage area up to where the stock radio was. heres a pic of my dash to show you what i mean

724118_9.jpg

Like Tim said, you need a dash kit for your car. Metra makes an excellent one (also rebadged under Best Kits and a couple other brand names), and you can get it at just about any stereo shop under the sun. Here's what it looks like:

356878_165_full.jpg

When I bought a stereo for mine I got a GM style Pioneer. Of course the number of locations it could be mounted was quite limited. So I put it in place of the bottom most tray in the dash, you know the big one at the bottom of the stack on the 82's? I ended up leaving the stock stereo in place as It would look weird having that missing as I didnt have a blank.

Alex

I made my own spacer so I that I could swap the head unit location with the little storage tray and keep the ash tray. I don't smoke, but it comes in handy as another more secure storage tray ! ! !

I made mine out of aluminum since I have access to a milling machine at work, but I have seen others made out of wood. I tried to first attach a photo, and that didn't work because it was too big. I couldn't figure out how to adequately reduce it's file size, so I figured out how to post photos to the member gallery. Here is the location, but for some reason it doesn't show up in the message as a link you can click on when I preview the post.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6655&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

I made my own spacer so I that I could swap the head unit location with the little storage tray and keep the ash tray. I don't smoke, but it comes in handy as another more secure storage tray ! ! !

I made mine out of aluminum since I have access to a milling machine at work, but I have seen others made out of wood. I tried to first attach a photo, and that didn't work because it was too big. I couldn't figure out how to adequately reduce it's file size, so I figured out how to post photos to the member gallery. Here is the location, but for some reason it doesn't show up in the message as a link you can click on when I preview the post.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6655&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

that aluminum chunk is great. i need to get me some of that milling machine access. but i think i like the look of the whole thing coming out and i like the suggestion of putting it on the bottom, i had thought of that when i was trying to jam it in there, but i didn't get that far when i realized it would still stick out.

thanks for all the tips, now i just have to figure out a cool way to mount my ipod.

cheers

droo

Regarding the black box.

May be part of the HVAC or may be what the parts department told me is the "seatbelt timer"

If its on the right side of where the stereo goes in and has a plug going into it you can either.... unplug it and throw it away, or break its tabs off and slide it up somewhere else in the dash.

Please make sure that the car operates normally when you unplug it. When I did mine I started the car. Ok good. unplugged it. Started the car... ok good.... throw the stupid box away in my case. Just make sure the seat belt chime turns off and the light goes off after 8 seconds or so. If either one start going all the time there's a problem.