Ultimate Subaru Message Board

battery light on/electrical system problem

Hello!

I just spent a very long 4 hours fighting with my 96 Legacy Outback (2.2). I left this moring for a day of motocrossing/camping with my son only to find the battery light and the brake light lit on the dash board. Strange combination... I thought that maybe it was a water/dampness-related problem because I just sprayed the outside of the car off before we left. By the time we got close to our destimation (1/2 hour away) the gauges started dancing on the dashboard. I knew I was almost out of power from the battery at that point and turned around for home. I made it about 5 minutes and then the car died on the road. I got a jump from someone and got the car to his house to put it on the charger. The problem was after a few minutes on the charger, it popped the safety circuit on it. I then thought that the battery was done, so bought a new one and installed it. The battey light and brake sensor light are still on and I assume the same problem still exists. Any ideas what might be up? What would cause the car not to take a charge? The fuses seemed to look good, so the problem isen't there...I think.

Thanks beforehand!

Sweden

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the alternator.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but according to the haynes manual, the battery voltage should show 14-15 volts when the engine is running. If it's not this much then your alternator is toast. I got my alternator rebuilt at a local electrical motor/alternator shop for about $60. They put in new brushes, a diode pack and bearing. It runs great now.

It is most definitely the alternator. The exact same problem happened to me a month ago. Battery and Brake light simultaneously.

Someone explained to me that the ABS system requires a certain voltage to function properly, and that's why you get the brake light along with the battery light.

Alternators are expensive, but I got a rebuilt one from 1stsubaruparts.com for a good deal.

After I replaced the alternator, no problems.

Matt

Thanks for the replys!

The alternator was my first guess as well. Now the larger problem-finding a alternator in Sweden that won't take ALL of my next paycheck. One additional thing also...finding someone that isn't on vacation to order or rebuild one.

Thanks again!

Sweden