Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best suspension options for a rally-x Impreza?

Greetings all!

This is a really cool site, I just stumbled in from NASIOC.

A little backround: 1993 Impreza Sedan, AWD, 5spd. 2001 2.5 engine. Anyway....

I went to my first rally-x a few weeks ago and I had a blast! Unfortunately, my struts were weak before the race, and after....let's just say that the suspension now sucks!:)

So, I bought a set of KYB AGX's, what should I use for a coil spring? I've been told that stock OBS springs will work. Any year in particular?

i ran kyb's at rallycross...

for 2 events... until i blew a strut.

this probably happened as the springs i was running were simply too low.

this is how we learn :) so... that being said,

for springs?

stay away from lowering springs.

try Subaru SPT springs or prodrive

dont get H&R or Prokit or Teins

nothing that LOWERS the car, or you'll be really really sorry.

Jamie

Jamie is a good source for this information, listen to her. But I want to know, are you rallying to win or just to have fun? I know some people who rally-x a basically stock Impreza that are consistantly at the top in run times. Before you get going too crazy on setting up you suspension, learn how to drive (race) with what you have, it will only help you once you get a good suspension under the car, and you'll have fun doing it.

He's saying he's already got the struts, now needs to know what springs to use. I think your stock ones would work fine. We've put 40 k on the KYBs (GR2) in the rear of our L, I've done 10 or more Rally Xs with it, they're still fine.

I'm with Jamie though, something a little stiffer might be nice, the courses tend to be kinda bumpy in spots. Like you just found that out. :)

I guess the best answer I have is this: This year I will be doing it for the fun of it. When winter comes, I will be taking it rather seriously. I would like to get into it a LOT! I've only been to one race so far, and that's all it took. If it wasn't for my one "off-course" I would have placed in the top 5.That was out of 60 something drivers. :D

So yes, I have the AGX's on the way. I would like to do the job in the next couple of weeks. So if anyone has a set of OBS springs in good shape, shoot me a PM....please?

Of course, I am also doing things such as skidplating, tires, and whatnot.

But since my struts are basically blown, i kinda need to do that ASAP. :)

BTW, there were only 5 drivers that day that didn't knock down a single cone. 4 of them were in the top 10 spots. I was the 5th!:cool:

Personally, I'd think Legacy ones would fit fine. I just put some WRX springs on an SVX and they fit! I would suspect they'd be a little stiffer too. Do a google search and see what you can come up with for stifness of the different models and years. They are very close together. I think the stiffest stock ones sans Sti are actually the 98-2001 RS springs which edged out WRX springs.