Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Howdy Everybody

Hey hey hey, finally found a forum dedicated to my favorite brand of car out there. HOORAY. As everybody knows, the reliability of these cars is incredible and never ceases to amaze me. The first one I ever owned was a 1985 GL Wagon, and it ran for 397,423 and 6/10 miles before finally giving up the ghost on the way to Maryjane (WinterPark Ski Area) one morning last year. WHAT A CAR....4 wheelin in Grand County, Colorado, isn't easy on most trucks, let alone station wagons. That car took me to countless mountain parties, fishin holes, hilltops, snow covered trails and was a sound daily driver. Recently, I had the opportunity to purchase a 1992 Legacy Wagon L from my grandmother (bless her original owning little heart) which she has kept in near pristine shape for the last 13 years. Nearly everything in the engine has been replaced at the first sign of wear and tear, so I've got an engine that looks floor room-esque when I peek under the hood. At about 130,000 miles, I've got this little beauty in the prime of her years. AWESOME FEATURES TOO - power everything, 5 speed manual, this VERY HELPFUL hill assist type feature, AC that WORKS!!, and a slightly modified stereo (Pioneer Premier DEH P850MP deck, Infinity kappas in the doors, and a brand new Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQ sub with a 600 Watt Pheonix Gold AMP!!!!!). I love this car, and plan to really expand my mechanical knowledge with this baby. I've already replaced the front left axle (HOLY COW-for a first timer, that's scary), and now i'm gettin ready to tackle all the brakes. Little Nervous, but I look forward to learning. Over the next couple of years, I'd like to put a lot of work into this machine, so I might be asking for help from alot of you knowledgeable enthusiasts from time to time. I don't bring a whole lot to the table, but I CAN get GREAT DEALS ON CAR AUDIO, so if you guys (and gals :) ) need help with that kind of thing, email me. ANYWAYS - great to be a part of the subaru family, and look forward to hearing from you and possibly drivin by you on the road. I'll be the guy with my head noddin around and my hands wavin.

HELLOOOOOOOO EVERYBODY

cory

...Hey hey hey, finally found a forum dedicated to my favorite brand of car out there. HOORAY.... -- ...this VERY HELPFUL hill assist type feature... -- ...i'm gettin ready to tackle all the brakes... --

....ANYWAYS - great to be a part of the subaru family, and look forward to hearing from you and possibly drivin by you on the road. I'll be the guy with my head noddin around and my hands wavin.

HELLOOOOOOOO EVERYBODY

cory

Hey cory,

First of all, gotta say hello and welcome to the board. Sounds like you'll fit right in!! The hill assist feature you refer to... would this be the "Hill Holder" when you push the clutch and then brake.. you can release the brake and not roll back?? All 4wd Manual subaru's are equipped with this feature.. unfortunately on a lot of the older ones it gets out of adjustment and people don't know about it!!!

Gotta say, don't worry about doing brakes.. it's easy on these cars.. I got it down to where I can do all four tires in about 15 minutes. You don't even have to bleed them.. the caliper just turns and compresses(front disc).. no nasty fluid all over the place!!

Again, welcome and enjoy!

-Eli and Jessica-

Hey cory..

That is our Brat in the Avatar. Any questions you have, including the ones in the e-mail.. you would probably want to post in the "New Gen" forum.. as it pertains to a Legacy. Go ahead and shoot it out.. no one is going to be too harsh on you.. we all ask "stupid" questions when learning.. but the only question that is truly Stupid is the one you DONT ask!!! (It doesn't hurt to use the search feature to try and help locate an answer to your problems.)

When i make right turns, i hear this really horrendous grinding, but i'm not pushing the brake. It's like there's a rock stuck in there. I had pulled off the tire to check it out, but couldn't find anything.

Sounds like it could be a wheel bearing or a cv joint. Have you had a good look at ALL of your CV boots? There is two on each half axle.. one near the drive train.. and one near the wheel. Check if any of these are torn and spitting out grease... And go ahead and start a new thread to ask your questions... you will get a lot of good input from people with far more experiance than me. :banana:

-Eli-

I don't bring a whole lot to the table, but I CAN get GREAT DEALS ON CAR AUDIO, so if you guys (and gals :) ) need help with that kind of thing, email me.

Hi cory,

Glad you found your way here. Everybody has something to add, and we gals appreciate your recognition:D .

Marisa

Hey cory,

First of all, gotta say hello and welcome to the board. Sounds like you'll fit right in!! The hill assist feature you refer to... would this be the "Hill Holder" when you push the clutch and then brake.. you can release the brake and not roll back?? All 4wd Manual subaru's are equipped with this feature.. unfortunately on a lot of the older ones it gets out of adjustment and people don't know about it!!!

Gotta say, don't worry about doing brakes.. it's easy on these cars.. I got it down to where I can do all four tires in about 15 minutes. You don't even have to bleed them.. the caliper just turns and compresses(front disc).. no nasty fluid all over the place!!

Again, welcome and enjoy!

-Eli and Jessica-

Um, I don't think I have a hill holder. Are you sure all 4WD manuals have them?