Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Front Wheel Bearing on my 01 OBW, how hard to replace ??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 unverviking

unverviking

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Spencerport, NY

Posted 09 July 2005 - 10:47 PM

I am noticing a worn bearing noise from the front of my 01 OBW and was wondering how much of a PIA it would be to replace them myself... :banghead:

The noise continually gets worse when accellerating, worsens on corners and disappears on moderate braking... Just rotated tires, no change...

I will be replacing brake pads shortly, and either new rotors or resurfacing, was hoping to do all that at once, it not too bad to get at the bearing.

TIA to all that respond...

#2 Subie Gal

Subie Gal

GC84Ever

• Members
  • 1,447 posts
  • WA

Posted 10 July 2005 - 10:12 AM

end wrench has a pdf file on how to do :) in the archives

http://endwrench.com...ch_articles.php

search : "wheel bearing"

not an easy job to do.
good luck!
Jamie

#3 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:18 PM

since you need a press to put the new bearing in, that means paying for shop time hours and all that jazz, it would probably be the same cost to just get a reman. one or one from a JY or something, check to make sure your axle nut is torqued down all the way, i have a 98 legacy sedan that "had" a front left bearing going south, just tightened up the loose axle nut, and behold. fixed.

~Josh~

#4 unverviking

unverviking

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Spencerport, NY

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:48 PM

since you need a press to put the new bearing in, that means paying for shop time hours and all that jazz, it would probably be the same cost to just get a reman. one or one from a JY or something, check to make sure your axle nut is torqued down all the way, i have a 98 legacy sedan that "had" a front left bearing going south, just tightened up the loose axle nut, and behold. fixed.

~Josh~

Had the pass side tranny/axle seal replaced in Jan/Feb. I'll pull the pass side front tire and check the nut...

Thanks, I'll be in touch with the results...

Didn't know about the "pressing" issues with the hubs. I might just as well let my buddy (has his own shop, works on Fleet trucks, Ambulances, etc...) do the job. He's always willing to work on cars too.

#5 unverviking

unverviking

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Spencerport, NY

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:08 PM

Just got it back today from my buddy's shop. He works on large "Fleet" vehicles (Ambulances, Small busses, vans, trucks, etc) Since he's now on his own, he's not turning down the chance to try his hand at other vehicles...

Found that the inner hub seal was "boogered" up by the last shop that replaced the axle seal in February. The bearings were kinda rusted out... Little did he know that it required pressing in. To top it all off, he busted the bolt head off the bottom knuckle bolt. He wasn't too happy...:banghead:

I was able to get all the parts for him this morning :banana: (new seals and the bolt) and he was able to get the rest of his bays open again. It was blocking 3 of his bays...

and now, he's pulled out a Beck Arnley World parts sign that says "Import Service done here " that he's modified with a Circle and Slash... No more Subaru's in his shop....

Guess I'm still on the look for a decent Sube Mechanic in the Rochester NY area... Still want to avoid the 3 area dealers if I can...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users