Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The easiest way will be to look at the inside of the hood after it's lifted up. It will say EJ25 (IIRC) near the vacuum hose diagram/emissions sticker. The other way is to look down on the timing belt cover. There should be a sticker that starts with EJ25.

If your concern is Phase 1 or Phase 2, I think the biggest difference is DOHC vs. SOHC. I did find a SOHC 2.5 in a 99' Legacy at a junk yard. The easiest way to tell is just by simply taking the cover off. If it's anything like the 2001 2.5 SOHC, it should have a little segment that is held on by three bolts. (10 mm socket, IIRC)

Hope this helps

Also, here are some pics of my 2001 2.5 engine i=wOTI0MDE5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

And another:i=wOTI0MDIwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

So I'm looking to buy a late 90's Legacy and of course don't want a Phase 1 EJ2.5. How will a 2.5 be visually different from the 2.2 in all my previous Legacy's.

IN you case, it's easy : there were no 2.5L in 1990. The 2.5L first appeared in 1996.

Easiest way to tell is by looking on the top of the engine block just behind and to the left of the crank pulley. It will say EJ22 for a 2.2 and EJ25 for a 2.5

Also, phase one EJ25s have two camshafts on each side where as the Phase 2 engines have only one camshaft on each side and look similar to your early Legacy engine.

Keith