Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check engine light on, poor gas mileage!

Howdie all, 1st post here...I have a 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon auto with the Turbo 2.5 liter engine. The check engine light (CEL) came on around the time I tried I unhooked the top air filter intake from the car (the plactic black tub with the rubber hose that connects on the bootom to the engine). Any way I am getting real bad MPG, so I took it to Autozone the code read:

Knock sensor (replace)

Knock sensor loose

poor fuel pressure

and something else I forget.

My thought is Knock sensor is loose or bad. The CEL used to turn on and off periodically like it was loose. What I need to know is where is the Knock sensor? Does anyone have a pic on where it would be located?

Not sure about yours, but on the Legacy, it's on the left side of the engine, down below the intake manifold (the big airhose), behind where the tranny is connected to the engine. If you look there, you should see it bolted to the engine.

Did they even make a Phase I 2.5 Turbo? I didn't think they did.

Not trying to be a jackass, just wanted to know.

Reid

It's 2.5L, the part guy said 2.5L turbo or 2.2L...I knew I had 2.5L not sure if it really a turbo cuz it has like ZERO power!

I found the KNOCK sensor, it F'in barried under the throttle cables and hoses. Like everything else it's gonna be a moe-foe to get it out! I'm gonaa need a torque wrench and a new sensor.

I cleaned the senor connectors with out un bolting it and engine light still on. Hope it's the knock though gonna order first thing in am.