Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone installed a reman transmission in their Legacy and been happy with its performance? I am looking for brands/reman companies that have trannies that can go the distance. If you had a reaman tranny put in your Legacy, automatic, please let me know how many miles you've put on the car since the reman was put in and if there have been any problems. Also, what company remanufactured the tranny.... ie: Certified, Jasper, etc. I have been in the car business long enough to know that brands matter and some reman companies suck. Thanks for the help.

-Sarah

I know there are plenty of people here who have had transmissions replaced. Need to decide soon on a reman or junk yard tranny. Cost difference isn't that much. Found a used tranny with 47,000 miles. But with Legacies, that could be bad too. Don't think much of the subaru AWD transmissions.

I know there are plenty of people here who have had transmissions replaced. Need to decide soon on a reman or junk yard tranny. Cost difference isn't that much. Found a used tranny with 47,000 miles. But with Legacies, that could be bad too. Don't think much of the subaru AWD transmissions.

I don't have any experiance with Reman companies. In general all Automatics wear out, it's just the nature of the beast. But, what I can say is that it seems the newer Legacy and Impreza transmissions really seem to hold up. Anything around 95 and newer they seem to last a long time. The 96 I just bought took 180K miles to kill the trans. My sis-in-law's 96 Impreza took 170K before it went. I personally think a used unit with 47k on it should last a long time. If I went that route I'd make sure the filter gets replaced right away and then get the fluid flushed. That should help. Sorry I can't give you any other advise on reman companies.

Keith