Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all,

Was getting my 99OBW ready for a trip to NY this weekend. I noticed that one of the tires has some small cuts in the sidewall. It looks like cuts a razorblade would make but It's from curbs from the previous owner i'm willing to bet. They don't leak air at all, I blew the tire up to 40 psi and put it in the tank here at work.

We have to drive 7 hrs one way. You think it's safe to drive on? The tires are getting old and have 4/10 of the tread left. I can get a deal on good kumho's on tire rack for 39 bucks a piece. Think I need to try and get new tires put on before we go?

Try to get new tires. If you blowout on the highway, you could be risking life and limb.

A flat at high speed is no good.

Changing a tire on the shoulder or median while cars go by at 70+ mph also, not good.

Buying a set of tires (not the brand you want) and paying top dollar at that tire dealer or service station on the way....

You get the idea? If you can, buy them now and have peace of mind on your trip! Enjoy the ride!

if you can come up with a used tire that is the correct diameter for you appliclation i have 16" wheel you could borrow for a week or so...then you would have a full size spare.

I think 99OBW's use a 15" wheel but if you took my 16" and got a used tire that would be close in size that would be better than a "doughnut" spare. You can get used tires out at the country tire barn (salunga exit of 283) for $25 mounted.

If you haven't noticed i am up the road in Akron. Let me know if you want to borrow the wheel.

EDIT: if your car has a 205-70-15 on it you can put a 215-60-16 and that is darn close to being even in circumfrance...according to the tire guide I used.

I agree with you guys completely. On further inspection the "cuts" look more like the start of dry rot. While I know I need new ones, the funds just aren't there and I do think this tire will do OK. I've seen tires much worse than this make the same trip.

A risk, yes but the tire is not as bad off as I thought. As soon as it's financially possible all 4 will get replaced. Probably be within 2 weeks

39 is a good price, but you still have to add shipping, installation, balancing, tire disposal fee (in some states) etc. if you suspect one being bad, i'd place that one on the back and be on your way. blow outs on the rear are much better than blow outs on the front. i don't recommend either, but that's the way to go if $ is tight. and don't forget your spare tire. full size spares are AWESOME. my guess is we will see you 700 miles later with no problems. i agree, best to replace them but dry rot is not that uncommon.

you can also call around for used tires as well. not the best option, but an option for landing a 15/20 dollar tire.

Here are my thoughts:

1. If you have been driving on these tires for a while, and if the 'cuts' are not that big, or deep, I would just go... Tires are pretty sturdy, and if you haven't had a problem yet, and you go easy on them, you will probably be ok. Don't drive 85 mph. Make sure they are inflated properly, don't overload your car, etc.

2. You should replace them as soon as you can, I know from experience that the Kumhos you speak of are good. I put a set on about a few months ago, and they are terrific, esp. for the low price. Have a small, independent shop in your area that you trust mount and balance them. It shouldn't be too expensive.

Have a safe trip!!

Matt D

Lucky me I work at a Saturn dealer so I'll be able to do the mount and balance myself :D And since I'm not getting these immediatly, I can get them through a local shop and with my dealer discount get them from 35 with no shipping. Too bad I don't have another week till we leave. Oh well.