Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1997 Subaru 2.5 GT with 93K. I have had the car since 50K and have had all the schedule maintenance done. At around 90K I noticed the shifting of the car becoming rough. It is an automatic, but as I come up to a stop and start slowing down, it shifts gears rough. Does the same thing taking starting off. At 90K the trans fluid was replaced and the mechanic made a comment about the dark fluid. (keep in mind it was also replaced at the 60K maintenance) Once replaced @ 90K, it ran much smoother until recently. I'm not a mechanic, but slightly mechanicly inclinded and was wondering what I can be looking at to correct my problem? All I've done so far is check the trans. fluid which looks good. I also checked the level (I think the right way) and the level looks good.

I did a quick search in here to see if anyone else has had a similar problem, and I found posts about a transmission oil filter?

Another factor that might be helpful to know is I only drive the car about 4K each year. And even that is stop and go traffic. Never really get it out on the highway.

Sorry for the long post, but I was trying to give as mush info as I can. Thanks in advance for any suggestions to check.

Also.. these auto trans "learn" the way you drive.. is the car driven by just you? Try: Disconnect the battery and then turn on your dome light or headlights to drain any latent energy in the lines... leave it disconnected for about 10-30 minutes... this will reset your computer and the transmission will begin re-learning the way you drive. I did this once and it wouldn't shift into 2nd or 1st. AT ALL. IT scared the crap out of me. I had to turn the car off.. then back on.. then everything was good. Make sure your tires are ALL the same size.. and relatively same amount of tread left on the tire.

If your fluid was dark at the last change it may be wise to have the filter and fluid changed. The filter may be dirty, restricting flow. Others have had success with transmission additives, such as Lucas. I wouldn't add anything without having the filter replaced first. The transmission pan is on the bottom of the transmission. There are two "pans" with drain plugs under the car. The transmission pan is the second one from the front. A dent in it can hamper operation of the transmission.

Let us know what you find.

Tom

I checked tonight and the transmission pan is not dented. The fluid was dark at the 90K maintenance, but definitely is not dark now. If I understand right, the trans filter is under that pan in my car? From what I've read the easier spin-on kind started in 99? I'm debabting whether to tackle this myself or not....