Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wobbly Legacy crank pulley!! Help!!

AM I doomed? Just got a 2.5 Impreza, has a little bit wobbly crank pulley/dampner. Tried to tighten but didn't get one micron of a turn. Any luck changing the pulley or...is the crank end bent and I"m doomed? Take off and retighten? Any help I'm very grateful for. dh.

tightening or reinstalling probably won't work. you need to replace the pulley or the crank is toast. i think it highly unlikely the crank is toast. but a bad pulley can ruin your crank, so best to fix this immediately.

not sure why it's wobbling, be nice to know. it's likely not a big deal now, but if you let it go too long it could definitely seriously damage your crank and that's a pain in the rump roast to deal with if you don't know what you're doing. (it can be done but you better have good machinists around). if it's a harmonic damper type crank pulley then a new pulley will likely be in order. personally i'd get an aluminum solid piece crank pulley and replace the stock one if it's a harmonic balancer type (which i think it is, i know the 2.2's are). all subaru crank pulley's i've seen are harmonic balancers but i've never seen a 2.5 liter motor.

have the pulley checked and start sourcing another one.

I understand that on some models of the Impreza, the factory torque specks for the pulley's are misprinted. Aparently they require MUCH more than the manual specifys.

It is actually a fairly common problem, more people than you'd think have WELDED the pulleys back on. :eek:

My neighbor welded his pulley on his Impreza and the car works fine. I understand from engine rebuilding places that they see this frequently on the Impreza.

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester