Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Crank shaft bolt

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Midwst

Midwst

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • Cedar Rapids

Posted 12 July 2005 - 07:42 PM

I am considering trying a 1/2" inpact gun on my crank shaft pulley...thats the way I usually get the bolts out on other kinds of cars. I hold the pulley still with a chain wrench. Question...on the Subaru, is there room for a 1/2" gun? Do I have to remove the radiator? If so, I may try a different method. Thanks.

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,084 posts
  • WV

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:08 PM

shouldn't need an impact wrench and i wouldn't use a chain wrench on the crank pulley. if you do, cut up some rubber...like from a tractor tire tube and place it between the chain and pulley to protect it. every subaru i've worked on gave me no problems removing the crank pulley with a 22mm socket and either putting the car in gear (manual) or jamming a socket extension into a slot in the flexplate (auto trans) under the intake hose. just use a long breaker bar or pipe extension (that's what i do) you can also attach a socket wrench to the crank pulley bolt, rest it against the motor mount and crank the motor. it will bust itself loose, but don't do that unless you know what you're doing. it's very easy to do, but don't want to see anyone get hurt by my suggestions.

#3 tcspeer

tcspeer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • Walnut Springs

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:28 PM

I take the belt that is on the crank pully and cut it to fit around pully then tape with duct tape to hold it. Then I use the large chain wrench that is sold at harbor freight to hold it, not the one that is on the end of vise grips but the one that has a metal handle around two foot long with the chain on the end. Then I break the bolt loose with a very large breaker bar, that large breaker bar that is also sold at the place where I got the chain wrench.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users