Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am considering trying a 1/2" inpact gun on my crank shaft pulley...thats the way I usually get the bolts out on other kinds of cars. I hold the pulley still with a chain wrench. Question...on the Subaru, is there room for a 1/2" gun? Do I have to remove the radiator? If so, I may try a different method. Thanks.

shouldn't need an impact wrench and i wouldn't use a chain wrench on the crank pulley. if you do, cut up some rubber...like from a tractor tire tube and place it between the chain and pulley to protect it. every subaru i've worked on gave me no problems removing the crank pulley with a 22mm socket and either putting the car in gear (manual) or jamming a socket extension into a slot in the flexplate (auto trans) under the intake hose. just use a long breaker bar or pipe extension (that's what i do) you can also attach a socket wrench to the crank pulley bolt, rest it against the motor mount and crank the motor. it will bust itself loose, but don't do that unless you know what you're doing. it's very easy to do, but don't want to see anyone get hurt by my suggestions.

I take the belt that is on the crank pully and cut it to fit around pully then tape with duct tape to hold it. Then I use the large chain wrench that is sold at harbor freight to hold it, not the one that is on the end of vise grips but the one that has a metal handle around two foot long with the chain on the end. Then I break the bolt loose with a very large breaker bar, that large breaker bar that is also sold at the place where I got the chain wrench.