Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HI!

THis is my first post on this forum.

I am a happy Subaru owner. I have a 2000 Outback Wagon with almost 140,000 and still going strong. We are thinking of getting another little "RU" for me. Keeping the one we already have and adding the baby to the family.

Here's my dumb question, and I Have been wondering for a long time.

What's the difference between the Outback and the Legacy? is one more of a top of the line then the other?

THanks for your help!

Momma cat 4

THanks so much.

I was looking at the new 2005 Outback. NIIIIIICE.

But I really hate giving up my 2000. It actually makes me sad to think of trading her in. I LOVE my Subaru.

Mommacat4

outback is higher market, and has raised suspension. Other than that, no difference. Same basic body, just different option levels. Legacy Brightons are the bottom of the line options wise.

HI!

THis is my first post on this forum.

I am a happy Subaru owner. I have a 2000 Outback Wagon with almost 140,000 and still going strong. We are thinking of getting another little "RU" for me. Keeping the one we already have and adding the baby to the family.

Momma cat 4

Wow. You beat me. I have a 1996 Outback, with only 130,000!

The Legacy GT is a nice alterative to the Outback if you don't need the jacked up look. Just as high line and it's almost 3 inches lower, so it corners much better. Same diff set up in the rear too, unlike the rest of the Legacys.

Jack

Wow. You beat me. I have a 1996 Outback, with only 130,000!

HI!

Well I was commuting almost 500 miles a week for almost 5 years. It REALY racked up the miles in a hurry.

I saw the 2006 Forresters were already out.. when are the 2006 Outbacks coming out and are there any changes?

mommacat4

i was looking at the outbacks a few days ago.they are real nice.belive it or not, along with the heavier suspension, the rear wheels turn 2 inches both ways to help the awd manuvering.they also have a limited slip differential which the legacys don`t.wheels and tires are bigger.personally, i am an outback fan over the others.i know of a dealer who will sell new 05 outbacks with everything exept leather and a moonroof for $20,555 which is by far the best price around.they still have blue,white,silver, and green.they are located in PA down the road from dorney park.did you drive a new one yet?they now have the +/- slap shift feature which is real fun to play with.let us know your decision

-Jon

Hi Subie,

I am defintely an Outback momma. I will get a nother Outback. We are thinking of the 2.5 or the 3.0 but I REALLY do NOT Need the LLBean version. I love the leather seats.. have those in my "Ru" now.. and I LOVE the seat heaters! They are sooo great. So I Know I'll get the leather interior.

When do the 2006's come out?

Mommacat4

i was looking at the outbacks a few days ago.they are real nice.belive it or not, along with the heavier suspension, the rear wheels turn 2 inches both ways to help the awd manuvering.they also have a limited slip differential which the legacys don`t.wheels and tires are bigger.personally, i am an outback fan over the others.i know of a dealer who will sell new 05 outbacks with everything exept leather and a moonroof for $20,555 which is by far the best price around.they still have blue,white,silver, and green.they are located in PA down the road from dorney park.did you drive a new one yet?they now have the +/- slap shift feature which is real fun to play with.let us know your decision

-Jon

the new ones have standard equipment heated seats.i believe the 06`s are coming out in september?

jibs- i am talking low end models.GT is turbo and usually the top of legacy`s.

owned both the OBW and now a legacy SW....I prefer the legacy because of its lower stance(handles a lot better) , its cheaper,same car pretty much,...did I mention its cheaper! thereby allowing more $$$ for mods etc....

jibs- i am talking low end models.GT is turbo and usually the top of legacy`s.

The GT was normally aspirated (non-turbo) in 01 (mine is) and I belive still is available without a turbo. Same engine and rear locking diff as the Outback. I don't know about now, but it also has a slightly shorter "rear end" for quicker acceleration, but to me it's fine cruising on the highway.

The only downside the the GT to me, was the non-availability of heated seats in 01.

Jack

I see some '06 outbacks already, but that might be a CO thing...

I haven't ever seen a outback go for anything less than 24k, but that's also probably due to region.

I'd stay away from the H-6, they are heavy to drive- what they make extra of horsepower, they forfeit in handling and gas mileage. I think the money is in the 2.5 Turbo (although gets the same gas mileage (about) as the H-6), but is light on it's feet and fun to drive.

The difference on the Legacy/ Legacy Outback is really up to the consumer, both are built sturdy and come with cool stuff. I personally like not only the exterior apperance, but the price of the regular Legacies.

The LSD (limited slip) is kind of cool in the outbacks, not much else to be said from me- prove it to yourself with a test drive.

I've driven a heck of a lot of '05 of both and so long as engine configuration is equal, they drive about the same (set aside the height difference and LSD).