Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'01 Legacy GT starting problem!

Hi All!

This is my first post and unfortunately it's regarding a problem.

The '01 Legacy GT Ltd (black with black interior) that I purchased from a pretty bogus dealership last November, has been a dream to drive until now. There are approx. 72,000 miles on it (~12,000 of which I have put on it myself) and I have been taking the best care of it that I know how to.

I have had the periodic problem of it not starting. The incidences are very sporadic and there don't seem to be any clear causes. When I turn the key, all the electric gadgetry comes on as usual, but nothing from under the hood.

It has been pretty hot in the past couple weeks (low to mid 90s) and the car is always outside. The last time this happened, it was December, snowy, and fairly cold. The only difference is that last time the car started after I'd just left it alone for about half-an-hour. This time I've been trying it every few hours to no avail.

I know virtually nothing about cars aside from what I read. This is my first vehicle. The car ran fine yesterday and today, nothing. If anyone can offer any help, I would really appreciate it.

Oh, the key is now stuck in the ignition as well, if you can offer any advice about that :rolleyes:

Thanks!

It's an automatic.

Thanks

Hi All!

The '01 Legacy GT Ltd (black with black interior) that I purchased from a pretty bogus dealership last November, has been a dream to drive until now. There are approx. 72,000 miles on it (~12,000 of which I have put on it myself) and I have been taking the best care of it that I know how to.

I have had the periodic problem of it not starting. The incidences are very sporadic and there don't seem to be any clear causes. When I turn the key, all the electric gadgetry comes on as usual, but nothing from under the hood.

It has been pretty hot in the past couple weeks (low to mid 90s) and the car is always outside. The last time this happened, it was December, snowy, and fairly cold. The only difference is that last time the car started after I'd just left it alone for about half-an-hour. This time I've been trying it every few hours to no avail.

I know virtually nothing about cars aside from what I read. This is my first vehicle. The car ran fine yesterday and today, nothing. If anyone can offer any help, I would really appreciate it.

Oh, the key is now stuck in the ignition as well, if you can offer any advice about that :rolleyes:

Thanks!

First thing (and the easiest) I would do is clean up the battery terminals. Remove the connections from the battery, and use sandpaper or a wire brush to get the inside of the clamps and outside of the posts real shiny, then reassemble (I am assuming that it is not a side post battery?).

Hey, thanks for the help. I will try to clean up the terminals. It is not a side post battery.

First thing (and the easiest) I would do is clean up the battery terminals. Remove the connections from the battery, and use sandpaper or a wire brush to get the inside of the clamps and outside of the posts real shiny, then reassemble (I am assuming that it is not a side post battery?).

Thanks for the reply. I haven't spilled anything in the car, although I bought it used and who knows what someone might have done to it previously. It was in very good condition when I bought it.

Have you spilled any drinks around the shifter over the years? There are switches down there that will cause this condition when they get "gummed up".

Thanks,

I have searched the board pretty thuroughly and haven't come up with anything that's all that helpful so far. I was hoping it was a really common problem with a really quick fix. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check it out.

It could be as simple as worn copper contacts inside the starter solenoid, a common problem--not too difficult to replace and not too expensive. Do a search here on the board, been discussed often.

It could be the solenoid contacts causing this but I think the car is too new for them to be a problem yet. Using a test probe light on the solenoid connection to the ignition wire will tell you if the voltage is getting to the solenoid or not when the key is turned to the start position.

My hunch is the problem is with the inhibit switch. It may be in the console with the shifter, or in the tunnel under the floor.

Hi All!

Thanks!

Will the starter crank the engine if you jiggle the shifter, force it further toward the "P" position, or move the shifter to "N"? If messing with the shifter won't get the starter to crank, locate the starter near the top rear area of the engine and find something that'll fit in there (the handle of a screwdriver, etc) and allow you to strike the starter a couple of times--that may jar the solenoid temporarily and allow it to crank.....

I see you mentioned "key stuck in ignition". The ignition lock won't release the key if the shifter isn't all the way in "P". Even though YOU are putting the shifter all the way into Park, the shifter cable probably has to be adjusted, or lubricated, or even replaced---so that the ignition lock "recognizes" that the shifter is in "P" properly.

Alright, so jiggling the shifter allowed me to get the key out of the ignition (duh), so thanks for that tip. I hadn't shifted it back to "P" completely after trying to start the car in "N" (which didn't work) last night.

I am too novice to know how to find the starter though. I dug around, checked out what they look like outside the vehicle (online), no go. If you know of a good diagram I can get to, or can describe the starter a bit better, that might help me.

Striking the starter to jar the solenoid is exactly the type of fix I was hoping for. I would really just like something that would allow me to start the car, so I can get it to someone with more experience instead of having it towed from my parking lot.

I know I'm a dunce, but I truely appreciate all your help!

This website and the people on it are THA BOMB! I ask about something, and either someone promptly replies or I find exactly what I'm looking for 5 minutes later!

Don't bother replying about the starter diagram. I found one!

Totally awesome everyone, THANKS!

Alright, so jiggling the shifter allowed me to get the key out of the ignition (duh), so thanks for that tip. I hadn't shifted it back to "P" completely after trying to start the car in "N" (which didn't work) last night.

I am too novice to know how to find the starter though. I dug around, checked out what they look like outside the vehicle (online), no go. If you know of a good diagram I can get to, or can describe the starter a bit better, that might help me.

Striking the starter to jar the solenoid is exactly the type of fix I was hoping for. I would really just like something that would allow me to start the car, so I can get it to someone with more experience instead of having it towed from my parking lot.

Well, of course it's not really a "fix". It's more of a diagnostic procedure, at best. Try following the POSITIVE battery cable from the battery---it ends up at the starter. I guess the best description I can give of a starter motor in layperson's terms would be that it looks like an electric motor (because it is) that's about 8 or 9 inches long and it bolts to the back of the engine---you can see it when you look down from the top of the engine--after following the path of the positive batt cable.

Okay, so I've ruled out the fuses, battery, etcetera as a problem. Now I am almost positive it is a starter problem, which I am totally unwilling to attack myself. I am going to have the vehicle towed somewhere to have the work done (either by a friend or a towing company).

I am now wondering if the warranty I bought from the bogus car dealership I got the car from will/should cover the repair. I have very minimal paperwork on the warranty (3yr/36,000mile). Regardless, I really need the car fixed by Sunday (tomorrow is Friday) and for as little $ as I can get away with. That should be do-able, right?

Please advise!

I am a new car owner (bicyclist for years) and not totally naive, but pretty unsure of myself when it comes to dealing with these things.

It sounds like the warranty is over now unless it is extended.

To see if it really is the starter you can check the voltage to the small wire going to the starter when the key is turned to 'start'. If there is voltage there then the problem is the starter. If it isn't, then it is most likely the inhibit switch causing the problem.

Okay, so I've ruled out the fuses, battery, etcetera as a problem. Now I am almost positive it is a starter problem, which I am totally unwilling to attack myself. I am going to have the vehicle towed somewhere to have the work done (either by a friend or a towing company).

I am now wondering if the warranty I bought from the bogus car dealership I got the car from will/should cover the repair. I have very minimal paperwork on the warranty (3yr/36,000mile). Regardless, I really need the car fixed by Sunday (tomorrow is Friday) and for as little $ as I can get away with. That should be do-able, right?

Please advise!

I am a new car owner (bicyclist for years) and not totally naive, but pretty unsure of myself when it comes to dealing with these things.

Have you called the warranty company to report the failure (or at least what you suspect to be the failure...)??