Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all.I recemtly purchased a 1990 legacy N/A auto 2wd.It has 200Kms on it but the interior is flawless and body is nice with no rust only several small dings.It's fully loaded and everything works including the AC.I think I got a great deal on it..all things considered.One of those hings is the rad has a crack in the tank.I've removed that and will get a new one shortly.

It also has the CEL light on and that has me stumped.I have the Haynes manual and dumped the code.It throws a code 44.The manual says Wastegate Solenoid Valve??? That's nice but the car is NOT turbo'd !

I suspect it's a wiring roblem in th eharness.I suspect all models use the same harness but not all connectors are used.In my case the solenoid connector is probably lieing loose somewhere.I have an unconnected connector that comes off the same bundle as the cooling fan below the rad.he connector is just lieing there and may be corroded.Does that sound reasonable and what should I expect to see if I meter that connector?

This is my 1st subau, my other car is a taurus.I find the sub to be fairly easy to work on.Everything is right up front alternator,AC, the belts are easy to access, except for the water pump.That looks like a lot of fun!

Welcome to the board!

I think your right on the harness being the same on all the Legacys and just leaving some connectors unused. I found that in my 82 GL and my 01 Forester.

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Well it seems I made a fubar:rolleyes:.My code is actually a 35 the dreaded purge valve solenoid.Dang that thing is in a nasty location.I removed it and metered it and the coil is open so I'll need a new one plus I'll try to relocate it.

I was wondering if anyone else who has replaced this part has used a diff part from a chev or ford ect that might be cheaper.It looks like a simple off/on valve controlled bu a plunger.

T0_-1_465003.JPG&picid=465003&uid=0

Well it seems I made a fubar:rolleyes:.My code is actually a 35 the dreaded purge valve solenoid.Dang that thing is in a nasty location.I removed it and metered it and the coil is open so I'll need a new one plus I'll try to relocate it.

I was wondering if anyone else who has replaced this part has used a diff part from a chev or ford ect that might be cheaper.It looks like a simple off/on valve controlled by a plunger.

Ok I found an old solenoid valve in my junk box and it seems to be working..no code !!!It's from my old corvette.

index.php?action=show&ident=465003

index.php?action=show&ident=465003