Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am thinking of buying a saab 9-2x(WRX). Any advice?

I have been driving my 97 Legacy GT since 2000 when I bought it with 70K miles. I am up to 180K miles and I am about to spend a ton of $$ on it. I think I might instead buy a new car. My legacy needs tires, timing belt, has had a leaky rear main seal for 2 years, and now it seems like the head gasket is going. I have always liked the idea and specs of the WRX and recently realized the saab 9-2X is the same car (almost) as the impreza. Because of GM incentives the saab version is significantly cheaper right now. Does anyone have any comments or advice on the quality of the WRX/saab, the differences, how well they last, what to look out for, and all that stuff. I put a deposit on one today because they are getting hard to find but I have until the middle of next week to change my mind. How long does the turbo usually last in one of those? Do the 2.0 engines last well? Do I really need to use the premium gas? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

okay, the only advice i can give you is that it is an EXTREMELY fun car to drive. After a recent car show, me and my friends got to drive the new cars from the floor all the way out of the convention center and down a mile. Out of the new Cadillac sts's, porsche cayenne's and saab's that i got to drive, the 9-2 turbo was amazing. I was in the wagon, but it was incredible. The handling (we raced a little through the convention center garage) was superb, and that turbo literally put me back into my seat about 2500rpm's into it. Haven't driven a new subaru, but from my experience, on performance alone(not really too sure about all of the other aspects) you would have a great time in the saab.....i really sound like a noob, but it's a great car.

you did say ANY advice right:)

cory

I say buy it :)

There's a long thread on Nasioc here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658102&highlight=saabaru

Some of it is actually useful information, most is filler and petty squabbling and BS in true Nasioc style. Search on "saabaru" for more of the same.

Differences are (in no particular order): interior materials and sound deadening, looks, suspension, steering ratio... that's the main ones from the little reading I've done. Mostly it's the same car as you mentioned. The 2.0 is very good. Yes you need premium fuel.

Steve

EDIT: 5 speed or Auto? I've seen many people complain about the combo of 2.0 turbo with 4EAT in city driving FWIW.

Can't beat the price for what GM is offering right now. I say if you can afford it and in the market for one, go for it. I checked out the interior of the Saabs and it is definitely more luxurious then the wrx. Again, if you can wing it, go for it!

odnt they have the EXACT same motor, the EJ20? if so, then guess what bolts on, wrx aftermarket stuff. from what ive read from various caqr magazines, the saab has a little bit better handling than the wrx, but is a little bit slower. if oyu can get one for cheaper than a wrx, throw the extra $2000 into performance parts, suspension goodies(like sway bars, and lowering springs) and kick some twisty-road A$$!!!!!

~Josh~

Yes, it is a WRX with a Saab front end and a little more insulation (heavier), and the option for a sunroof, HIDs, and leather. Unfortunatly, you're probably not going to be able to find a 5-speed aeros. The linear is the 2.5 n/a and the aero has the turbo. I think they also have slightly softer springs and some STi suspension and steering parts.

Also, don't buy it for more than $8000 less than sticker.

Thanks for all the help guys. I thought the deal was too good to be true and it appears it is. The Aero version (WRX) is sold out in New England. I have been calling dealerships all over the place trying to get one. A dealer here in mass has found one for me in NY that is what I want...5-speed, 2.0 Turbo, almost base model, and silver. It is $20K but in order to get it here they are charging $500 delivery fee. I guess $20500 is still a pretty good deal for a WRW wagon brand new but it is starting to hit my limit on payments.

I think I am going to grab it but it is hard going from no payment to a big one.

Thanks for all the help guys. I thought the deal was too good to be true and it appears it is. The Aero version (WRX) is sold out in New England. I have been calling dealerships all over the place trying to get one. A dealer here in mass has found one for me in NY that is what I want...5-speed, 2.0 Turbo, almost base model, and silver. It is $20K but in order to get it here they are charging $500 delivery fee. I guess $20500 is still a pretty good deal for a WRW wagon brand new but it is starting to hit my limit on payments.

I think I am going to grab it but it is hard going from no payment to a big one.

Forget the delivery.... head to NY and drive it back to where you are!!! That drive will make a nice road trip on your NEW Saab!!!