Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Legacy Station Wagon CEL, Long Question

I am new here to USMB. I have looked at other boards and this one is the best I have seen. I need some help (please)troubleshooting my 93 Legacy L Wagon: AWD, 5 speed manual with 204,000 mi. I just bought the car a couple of weeks ago, I put in a new battery, put brake pads on front and rear. Unfortunately I forgot to tighten the lugnuts down all the way on the front driver's side before driving it. Smooth I know.

The wheel did vibrate a lot when I drove about 55 mi. on the highway. It took me a while to realize what I had done, I decided to tighten it when I got home. That's about the time the CEL came on and the car stopped running. It wil not restart. It cranks, but will not turn over.

I hooked up the self test wires under the dash. When I hook the black harnesses together The CEL flashes code 13 which according to Haynes is The Cam angle sensor - No position pulse. I checked the resistance on the harness end of the sensor and it reads about 1500 ohms. According to Haynes this is in the range of 1000 - 4000 ohms. I also purchased a used sensor and its resistance reads about 1600 ohms. I installed this used one and still no start.

When I hook up the Green harness (self test) the CEL stays on and the radiator fan cycles on and off and I can hear some ticking that sounds like tick (pause) tick,tick.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to provide feedback.

Take off one of the plastic end caps of the timing belt cover and check the timing belt to see if it's still tight.

Only other thing I can think of is the wiring from the cam sensor is bad. However that typically doesn't go bad instantaneously

The timing Belt is broken. Thank you guys very much. Would the Wheel vibration from not tightening the lug nuts be enough to break a timing belt that supposedly only has about 20,000 mi on it? The Belt looked worn and cracked and the bolts that held the side covers in place were rusted into the studs of the back cover. Sarcasm is OK. I know I messed up by not tightening the lugnuts.

just bad luck. If the belt failed at that low mileage I'd check the water pump and tensioner carefully. More likely is that the belt was never actually changed.

The good part is that it probaly did not hurt anything, just install another belt.