Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'Sport' muffler/hitch compatibilty for WRX

Well, I had a hitch on my year 2000 Impreza and it fit okay with the Subaru branded hitch and the Subaru branded "Sport Muffler". I took the hitch off 'cause I never use it and I might as well the save the weight.

The outer rear hanger attaches to the frame rail, and this is automatically lowered when you install the hitch because you just bolt the hitch frame inbetween the hanger and chassis.

2005 models aren't very different underneath, so I would surprised if you couldn't combine both on these two.

Come to think of it, the president of the local Impreza club has a 2005 STi Impreza with STi exhaust and totally hidden trail hitch. Fits easy!

So, assuming the hitch sold in the states is the same shape....you should be okay.

Well, I had a hitch on my year 2000 Impreza and it fit okay with the Subaru branded hitch and the Subaru branded "Sport Muffler". I took the hitch off 'cause I never use it and I might as well the save the weight.

The outer rear hanger attaches to the frame rail, and this is automatically lowered when you install the hitch because you just bolt the hitch frame inbetween the hanger and chassis.

2005 models aren't very different underneath, so I would surprised if you couldn't combine both on these two.

Come to think of it, the president of the local Impreza club has a 2005 STi Impreza with STi exhaust and totally hidden trail hitch. Fits easy!

So, assuming the hitch sold in the states is the same shape....you should be okay.

From 'another forum' it appears the Subaru hitch has more clearance than much less expensive after market hitches. And, there are longer hangers availabble to help with clearance issues. So I guess I just need to go ahead and get the Soob hitch and then shop for a muffler with a low exit tip or oval or dual tips located as low as possible. Seems like folks have almost always found a way to make it work.

Carl