Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bypassing the clutch/starter interlock

I’ve always had an issue with the need to depress the clutch to engage the starter. Recently, my Saab blew a clutch hose and I needed to start the car in first gear, using the starter motor. I started up just fine the four times I needed to start the car to get it home and clutchless shifting was fine, once I figured out the sweet spot. The Saab doesn't have a clutch/starter interlock switch.

I just by-passed the micro switch to disable the clutch interlock for starting the engine in the Subie. I did it for two reasons. First, I want to be able to use the starter, with the car in gear, in an emergency situation and secondly, starting the car with the clutch depressed causes the crank to press on a dry (unlubricated) thrust bearing.

Am I the only one who has bypassed the clutch/starter interlock?

Jack

2001 GT wagon

yeah, you're probably one of the few/only ones I know of.

I understand your reasons for wanting to do it, but it is a safety device that really should be there. What if someone else drives your car?

I think the thrust bearing issue really isn't too big an issue. Oil does still remain in there. I hosed out the ej22t engine I am rebuilding with water and degreaser. This was with the heads off and oil pan off. When I split the block, there was still oil around the bearings. So for that short period of time at start up, I don't think it's a big deal.

If you want to use your starter without pressing the clutch, you should tie a toggle/push button switch in parallel to the clutch start switch. That way, under normal circumstances, and when other people drive your car, everything works as supposed to. Yet when an "emergency" occurs or when you want to, you can start the car without depressing the clutch.

Count me as maybe the only other guy that has bypassed the clutch starter defeat switch. I did that when the switch went bad and I decided not to have that problem ever again. Next time the starter will not turn, I'll know it's not the starter defeat switch. Still, I kept the habit of pushing on the clutch pedal when I start the car. I'll probably keep that habit since it unloads the trans from the engine and makes starting easier during the winter. And since I'm the only person who drives the car...

the only reason i'd see this as being a good idea is on an off roader, when your in mud up to the windows and pushing the clutch will get mud up in there starting with the clutch engaged is a good idea, for the street its stupid. my .02

its funny you know we dont get those here at all :-\ maybe we know to use neutral in a manual (stick shift) for you yanks although my new Suzuki motorcycle has one and its a pita, disconnecting soon

camo

Either Subaru beleives their own Paul Hogan adds and thinks everything is offroad in Australia or maybe they think Australians are stupid. At least that's what I've heard... :rolleyes: