Ultimate Subaru Message Board

well crap. may ohm meter is way out of spec. How does one get something like that fixed? I touch the 2 prongs together and get anything from .8 ohms to 1.4 ohms. Sometimes it bounces up to 3 ohms. Good grief!

A little OT, but it IS your thread... What type of meter? (I assume digital rather than analog.)

Very FIRST thing to check is the battery. If the battery is not up to par it will cause a digital meter all sorts of bad behavior. Check the probe wire connections at the meter to make sure that they are firmly connected. Some probe wires have removeable probe tips, so make sure that are attached. The probe wires themselves may be internally damaged, changing conductivity as the wires are moved/handled.

Unless it is an expensive meter, it, like other electronics, is usually cheaper to replace then have fixed.

"its the Law!" :lol:

ones. I have an old steel case I mounted one in 10 years ago with foam padding. It has been through a few batteries and at least three sets of leads, but still worked the last time I used it. The last time was for the clock in the Forester, that alone paid for it.

I'm not surprised about the meter error and that is why I mentioned it in my earlier post. You may be able to make your probes work ok by just using some alcohol to clean the connections. Use a swab to clean the meter connections. If the plug is loose in the meter you may be able expand the plug contacts, if they are the split type, to make a better connection.

Whenever you are checking for low resistances it is good practice to short the probes together and see what the meter reading shows. Hopefully it will be a stable number under 1 ohm. The reading will be part meter error and the probe wire resistance. You just remember the error and subract that from your measurment.

You have a good meter there and it should work fine for anything you need to measure on the car.