Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When its hot outside, the compressor stops cycling off.....at all. It just stays on constantly. I searched some threads and couldn't find anyone with an "always on" compressor problem.

I can switch it off manually from the dashboard, but on a hot day I have to cycle it manually turning on the compressor for only 10-15 seconds then I HAVE to manually turn it off or it gets stuck on.

I don't believe its mechanically getting stuck since I can pull over when its "stuck" and simply unplug the clip while the engine is running and instantly the clutch kicks off.

When it gets stuck on and manually turning it off doesn't work, I can kill the engine for about 10-30 seconds and when I restart it "remembers" that its supposed to be off.

However that only works about 1/2 the time. So....long story short, on a hot day driving in traffic it stops cycling off automatically and I'm cycling the compressor at the dash having it on for only 10 seconds, and if it gets "stuck" on, I'm restarting the engine 1-3 times until it finally remembers to be unstuck. Not a fun commute.

Its like it forgets to listen to the computer or the switches on the dashboard when it gets above 96 degrees outside. Cooler weather.....everything works fine. Last night at 82-84 degrees it cycled on and off via the computer just like clock work, and the dash buttons turned it on and off as well.

Any ideas? --E

When its hot outside, the compressor stops cycling off.....at all. It just stays on constantly. I searched some threads and couldn't find anyone with an "always on" compressor problem.

I can switch it off manually from the dashboard, but on a hot day I have to cycle it manually turning on the compressor for only 10-15 seconds then I HAVE to manually turn it off or it gets stuck on.

I don't believe its mechanically getting stuck since I can pull over when its "stuck" and simply unplug the clip while the engine is running and instantly the clutch kicks off.

When it gets stuck on and manually turning it off doesn't work, I can kill the engine for about 10-30 seconds and when I restart it "remembers" that its supposed to be off.

However that only works about 1/2 the time. So....long story short, on a hot day driving in traffic it stops cycling off automatically and I'm cycling the compressor at the dash having it on for only 10 seconds, and if it gets "stuck" on, I'm restarting the engine 1-3 times until it finally remembers to be unstuck. Not a fun commute.

Its like it forgets to listen to the computer or the switches on the dashboard when it gets above 96 degrees outside. Cooler weather.....everything works fine. Last night at 82-84 degrees it cycled on and off via the computer just like clock work, and the dash buttons turned it on and off as well.

Any ideas? --E

I know the AC cycles on and off via a temperature sensor in front of the condensor inside the car. When the air becomes cold enough, it will cycle off, and then when it becomes warm enough it will kick back on. I guess it has been so hot that the air passing through the condensor hasn't gotten cool enough to cycle off the AC. When it is really hot out, try hitting the recirculate button to recirculate the cabin air and see if the AC cycles on and off.