Ultimate Subaru Message Board

coming 2 alaska

so my parents and girlfriend and I are taking a little vacation to AK next month. We leave right after the midwest meet on August 8th, and get back the 14th. It's going to be super expensive, so we're kind of treating it like a once in a lifetime (or longtime anyway) thing. So what would you people who live up there recomend seeing. We're flying into and out of anchorage. and the first 2 nights staying up in denali http://www.hostelalaska.com/ (we have the family bunk cabin!).

Anyway, looks like it will be super fun, just looking for more input, we have other ideas, but that's the only thing that's concrete so far. a mini-meet would be cool, if you SKA guys are around.

I'm definately not bringing my wagon, that's a long @$$ drive!!! nope, we're flying, but would still like to meet up, maybe my parents could go do their sightseeing, and the three of us (you, my gf, and I) could go explore the scenic routes...

but we're probably not going to leave time for a meet, or mudding or anything like that (not one of any length anyway), just looking for some recomendations from the locals as to what we should see.

but we're probably not going to leave time for a meet, or mudding or anything like that (not one of any length anyway), just looking for some recomendations from the locals as to what we should see.

Me Snowman and Northguy are definately the guys to talk to about that.

I'm back. Man can that XT6 fly - 2500+ miles in just over 38 hours of driving time. I even stopped for a 61/2 hour nap. In Alaska, it depends on what you're interested in. The silvers should be running strong by then if you're into fishing. The art and history museum is always a good bet. Go check out a glacier - Matanuska glacier or Exit glacier are easy accessible. Raft the Kenai canyons. Go on a halibut charter in Seward and see the sea life center while you're there. Head to Alyeske and ride the tram to the top of the mountain and go ridge walking for a bit. Grab a pack and camping gear and go off in any direction. PM me and I'll put together a small meet. Snowman is in Haines and won't be able to make it.

Those crazy Cannuks can't obey their own speed limits. I got blown away early by the locals and was just fighting to protect the reputation of the Subaru name. Besides, there are no K/M markings on my speedo, and I would have played ignorant of the math ability if I were stopped.

It was certainly a pleasure to have met you and your son. Let's do it again next year.

hey Lead foot how ya doing lol

spark

Seems you already have alot on the plate to do... 2 days in anchorage is alot, as there's not much in anchorage to do. You can hit the museum (which I highly recomend) and spend an afternoon in downtown. Go visit Earthquake park in Anchorage and if you like scenic drives you can rent a car and drive the Turnagain arm. In August the drive would be beautiful and there is quite a bit of wildlife to see not far from Anchorage.

How are you traveling to and from Denali? Bus or train? If its by train you will get to see ALOT. Since you have 2 days in denali, look into the Chena hot Springs (hope its spelled right), not sure how far from Denali it is, but its up that way and worth the visit.

Too bad your only spending 4 days total there... you need like 2 weeks to fully enjoy Alaska. If your a sports fisherman, I recommend returning in Spring and fish the Kenai River.

-Brian

well, we get in at about 10 am on the 8th...through sometime on the 14th...leaves us 6-7 days.

we're renting a car for the whole trip, first 2 nights in denali, last one in anchorage, beyond that, we're not sure. already plan to do alyeska, and turnagain arm (did that on the tour bus after our cruise last year), seward, and some time in anchorage

what museum in anchorage are you referring to?

better have a day to drink beer, cuz its going down

uh...I most of us don't drink...and my dad is pretty much the unofficial driver. But we'd love to hang out if we have time...

thanks for the great help, looks like alot of that is already on the list, and what wasn't, is now!

we're not going to be doing any fishing...not really our gig. and as much as I'd like to raft/kayak a river, it's just too pricey, so that [probably] won't happen.

We were planning on driving the Denali highway while we're there, but I guess most of the rental car companies won't allow it, and the people we've talked to don't recommend it. Yes it could be fun in a 4WD rig...but we're driving a FWD rented Sedan, so from a strictly sightseeing standpoint, is it worth it?

Thanks again! and I'll consult with my parents as to when we'll have time, and see if a meet can be set up, that would be quite fun!

Hey Numbchux,

I don't really know much about the area you're headed to, but definitely talk to Matt and Jon about it. They'll show you around.

Too bad I won't be up there in time. I'll be headed to Anchorage at the end of August.

Dang Matt, you were flying! I had about 33 hours of driving time and my trip was 600 miles shorter.

Hey Spark, you should talk to Austin. I think he'd be up for a road trip next summer, and we'd love to see some of you guys come up.

Hey Kelly you made it....my son andy ,wants to do a road trip up to alaska, iam up for it.... i'll talk to austin and freddie to drive up too...lets get the caravan to alaska going for 06' ....andy and i had a great time camping with you and matt.....thanks.........spark :cool: