Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought a CCR 2.5..........

Well, I've had it with fighting the head gasket war!!! Just got off the phone with Emily and it should be on it's way next week. That is where all of you come in..... I'll be attempting to do the engine swap myself with a little help from YOU:) . Most of you know me as a fairly competent mechanic, but this is venturing into new territory. I'll keep you posted on progress and even include pictures!!! Later and thanks in advance, Tim

I have a brand new CCR engine in my 98 outback, but then I wrecked it! Need to really get busy and find all the parts to get back on the road. If you see any 30th anniversary OBW's that aren't crunched in the front let me know. I need everything from the bumper back to the fan belt cover :eek:

Maybe we'll see you at Midwest if Shawn decides to come. No mud though!

• 2 weeks later...

Tim,

I assume this is a 2.5 DOHC. Would you mind revealing the out the door price, (you don't have to) and I guess this is a complete overhaul rather than new? I think a lot of us would be interested. Maybe too many. We might overwhelm CCR.

CCR doesnt post prices because its a real world we live in. Some people, shops, etc get a slightly lower/higher price depending on how many engines they buy (for example Tim has bought 3 now I think) and the year and engine type desired. The cost of parts goes up and down over time as well. (Mostly up unfortunately)

There are lots of little nit picky differences between each year of engine that make the price change like 99 and up 2.5, turbo engine, quad cam vs SOHC, etc.

If you need an engine price quote just call em at 303-293-9230. They don't bite. :)

CCR doesnt post prices because its a real world we live in. Some people, shops, etc get a slightly lower/higher price depending on how many engines they buy (for example Tim has bought 3 now I think) and the year and engine type desired. The cost of parts goes up and down over time as well. (Mostly up unfortunately)

There are lots of little nit picky differences between each year of engine that make the price change like 99 and up 2.5, turbo engine, quad cam vs SOHC, etc.

If you need an engine price quote just call em at 303-293-9230. They don't bite. :)

With that being said, yeah, go ahead and call them. They are not "cheap" but at this point in my life I've come to understand "you get what you pay for". I concider it money very well spent. More to come...........

Agreed. After owning dozens of cars, I became hooked on Subarus with an '88, '87' and an '86. Was a little disappointed with the '97, but it's the car I want. Whatever their price, their reputation makes it worthwhile. And if you like the car, it's certainly worth it to replace the engine with a CCR.

As compaired to the price of a used 2.5L DOHC, a CCR rebuilt is a very good value. When buying used engines you should replace all the seals, water pump timing belt...........and then you still don't know when the head gaskets will go, (because they will). CCR engines come complete with new T-belt, water pump, and even spark plugs and oil filter.

The oil filler neck bolts, thermostat housing, and the cam crank sensors just use a 1/4" ratchet and snug them.

The intake same but use a 3/8" ratchet of around 8-12" long with a 6" extension and it should be about right, just make sure they all feel the same.

Guest Vickaroo

Soooooooooo Tim got his NEW CCR motor this morning and as I was comming home from running errands Tim is going in the house telling me "Im going to need your help with this one" well thats not new for him... Buttttttttttt I was comming into the house and dangggggggggggg if he didnt cut his thumb with the new motor. I mean cuttttttttttttt!!!!! Had to take him in for 12 stiches. He wanted to just wrap some gauze around it and work on the OB!!!!!!!! I told him heck nooooooooo he needed stiches... (uhhhhhhh you could see the tendends and muscels!!!!:rolleyes: ) So he got his stiches and now he is back at it putting the motor in the OB!!!!! So how come it is when a guy gets a paper cut he will whine for months, but let him cut off a thumb its no big deal.... :lol: MEN!!!!!! Vicky

'tis but a flesh wound.

At least the cost of the new engine out weighs the cost of the stitches. I have had an oil change that required 6 stitches. I saved $15 dollars on an oil change but spent lots of money on my visit to the ER, so that means my oil change cost about $320+.