Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 2.2 Outback v/s 2000 2.5 Outback?

I've got a friend who is looking at possibly buying an OBW. This will be his first Subaru. He is looking at two different ones right now. The first is a 96 five speed--the other is a 2000 auto. Both have edged just over the 100,000 mile mark, so they have similar mileage on them.

The 96 is a 2.2 and the 2000 is a 2.5. I told him I thought the 2000 had the phaseII 2.5 and that the head gasket failure is more an issue with the phaseI 2.5 engines. Those of you in the know, was this correct info? He likes the color and body style of the 2000 better.

Those of you who have a newer 2.5 wagon with an auto tranny, what kind of highway mileage do you get? Those with a 2.2 manual, what do you get?

I've got a 95 LSi wagon (w/ auto), so my Subaru experience is limited to it, but I was trying to give him some info to go on if he needs to choose between the two cars.

Thanks

I do believe the '96 had the non-interference EJ22, if it had the 5spd.

We should be filling up the wife's 2000 OBW tomorrow... I can give you an idea of what we're getting for mileage then. It'll probably be skewed, though... it's thrown a CEL a couple of days during that tank of gas, the error regarding one of the O2 sensors. I've got a feeling it's got a dragging brake too, that I won't be able to check until Tuesday.

I've got a friend who is looking at possibly buying an OBW. This will be his first Subaru. He is looking at two different ones right now. The first is a 96 five speed--the other is a 2000 auto. Both have edged just over the 100,000 mile mark, so they have similar mileage on them.

The 96 is a 2.2 and the 2000 is a 2.5. I told him I thought the 2000 had the phaseII 2.5 and that the head gasket failure is more an issue with the phaseI 2.5 engines. Those of you in the know, was this correct info? He likes the color and body style of the 2000 better.

Those of you who have a newer 2.5 wagon with an auto tranny, what kind of highway mileage do you get? Those with a 2.2 manual, what do you get?

I've got a 95 LSi wagon (w/ auto), so my Subaru experience is limited to it, but I was trying to give him some info to go on if he needs to choose between the two cars.

Thanks

96 5spd is a 2.2, last year of this. I get 28-30 mpg highway with mine.

ive got a 2000 legacy automatic 94K i just recently did both differentials with valvoline semi-synthetic and drained the tranny twice second time installed a new filter i with valvoline max life dexron III and also while i was at it said what the heck and changed the oil to 5w-30 valvoline max life over the past few months ive done the spark plugs and wires and fuel filters and switched from K&N back to a paper element filter and in a mix of city ( small town) actually and 40 miles back and forth to work every day on a two lane hiway at 60-70 mph im getting 27-28 mpg and am quite happy with that cant wait to put it on the hiway on our annual trip to detroit and see what it gets on the freeway