Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone else seen the TV spots for the Tribeca? It shows the B9 driving past all these other SUVs while they turn to dust or meet some other fate, all to the tune of Kansas's "Dust In The Wind." If anyone else has seen it, let's hear some comments. I've heard all the bad things about it on this board, and personally, I'd like to test drive it first to see how it handles before I'd comment on the Tribeca.

I've seen that commercial.. it's kinda funny. The Tribeca is actually starting to grow on me. The pics I first saw of it I didn't like. It looks better on video. It maybe even look better in person... I still HATE THE CRAP out of that front end though.

Hi,

I have seen the commercials...I like the ads.... love the song.. but I am still an OUTBACK person.:) Nothing will sway me from my Outbacks.

Mommacat4

Has anyone else seen the TV spots for the Tribeca? It shows the B9 driving past all these other SUVs while they turn to dust or meet some other fate, all to the tune of Kansas's "Dust In The Wind." If anyone else has seen it, let's hear some comments. I've heard all the bad things about it on this board, and personally, I'd like to test drive it first to see how it handles before I'd comment on the Tribeca.

I've seen and like the ad. I'm still not to keen on the looks, but it's a commercial, need to see one up close and personal like...

I was talking with 1 of my co-workers, he's a sube lover as well. He's up to something like #15, or 8 in the past 15 years ?? Anyway, he and his wife and daughter went out car shopping (for his daughter) a few Sunday's ago, and stopped at the local Subaru dealer. They went purposely on Sunday, so that no sales folks could sway the daughter one way or the other... He was admiring (drooling) on a B9 and just for giggles, lifted the driver's door handle, and it opened. He sat inside for the next 15 minutes (drooling some more). He loved it, it was very well appointed, comfortable, and spacious. He was VERY impressed that they are now finally putting a power seat on the passenger side, his biggest complaint about his wife's car (no power seat on the pass side) He too was saying that for the price, it was well worth it. The one he sat in listed for about 30k, and was priced at 26k. (The local dealer claims to sell at only $100 over what they paid for the vehicle)

So, one of these Sunday's, I'll have to take the family out for a drive to the local Subaru dealer and give it look see my self...

I like the idea of the Trbeca, love its interior, side and rear views, but if I live to be a thousand years old, you'd never get me to buy one based on the look of its front end. I shiver just to think of it. Did anyone notice that in the commercials you have all of these side and rear three quarter shots of the car, and only ONE view of its front end, at that is in the very last scene? Maybe even Subaru is afraid to draw attention to it. Can anyone say Edsel?

My concern is that the scenes in the commercial look like the suicide bomings in Iraq. Just wrong in this day and age of terrorists and suicide car bombs. I mean, there could be people in those rigs that get blown to dust.

Is Subaru tying to tap the Middle East market or are they confident that those who actually purchase one of these ugly things will want to commit suicide?

Juan

Tribeca front end looks like a 1958 Saab or an inverted Edsel,

Since Subie is now a GM car, maybe the pontiac design group helped. Maybe they were trying to make something more ugly than the Aztec. Mission accomplished.

Surely an aftermarket company will make a decient looking header panel for that mother-in-law ugly thing.

Jack

My concern is that the scenes in the commercial look like the suicide bomings in Iraq. Just wrong in this day and age of terrorists and suicide car bombs. I mean, there could be people in those rigs that get blown to dust.

Is Subaru tying to tap the Middle East market or are they confident that those who actually purchase one of these ugly things will want to commit suicide?

Juan

Woah... thats kinda out there. When I saw the comercial I didnt think of terrorists one bit. And I thought it was a very smart way to market their ugly new SUV. The platform is a good idea, and hopefully by 2010 it will look good :)

I give the Commercial a thumbs up :)

-Brian

Woah... thats kinda out there. When I saw the comercial I didnt think of terrorists one bit. And I thought it was a very smart way to market their ugly new SUV. The platform is a good idea, and hopefully by 2010 it will look good :)

I give the Commercial a thumbs up :)

-Brian

They show a guy and his dog 'survive' to drop to their butts onto the road. I never felt it threatened a person's life. I DID once see a European commercial for a car (Ford IIRC?) trying to tout its tough construction by showing a stereotypical middle-eastern-looking man drive up, fumble with a satchel and some wires, explode, the aftermath of which shows the car in one piece and unscathed - the blast completely contained inside. Subaru's commercial is very tame compared to that!

Carl

Still, the commercial glorifies destruction of others' personal property out of dislike, envy, revenge etc.

It's clear that Subaru is trying to market this thing to haters. Not that far out there. Think about it. The target is clearly single women who have been dissed by successfull men:

'Buy one of these and show him! Oh, and have a good chuckle as you're thinking about him, and his dog, being kicked to the curb by your new "SUV". Take that, Baby!'

Correct me if you feel I am wrong ,but at the very least, Subaru is marketing this as a chic SUV. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I just get the feeling that it could be done without promoting destruction.

Juan

Still, the commercial glorifies destruction of others' personal property out of dislike, envy, revenge etc.

It's clear that Subaru is trying to market this thing to haters. Not that far out there. Think about it. The target is clearly single women who have been dissed by successfull men:

'Buy one of these and show him! Oh, and have a good chuckle as you're thinking about him, and his dog, being kicked to the curb by your new "SUV". Take that, Baby!'

Correct me if you feel I am wrong ,but at the very least, Subaru is marketing this as a chic SUV. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I just get the feeling that it could be done without promoting destruction.

Juan

I think you're nuts.

My take on the commercial is that Subaru is marketing their new subaru as just that.... A subaru. They last forever and are virtually indestructible. THe same cannot, however, be said for Fords. I think they're just trying to have a little fun, not promoting terrorism, death, and destruction of others' personal property.

Jack, Subaru is STILL OWNED by Fuji Heavy Industries, not GM. GM has something like a 20% stake in it, which is not threatening IMO.

Juan, I can't quite jive with your thinking, and personally, I think I speak for everyone when I say that. Way overanalyzed that commercial...

Juan, I can't quite jive with your thinking, and personally, I think I speak for everyone when I say that. Way overanalyzed that commercial...

Here's the deal... Jaun obviously doesn't like the tribeca or the tribeca ad. He uses an absurd example such as terrorism or sexism to get a response- otherwise known as trolling.

The tribeca has a polarizing effect on people- either you like it or you don't. If people think the car is really ugly, there's nothing I, or anyone, can say that will make them think otherwise.

I've said it before, the tribeca has a market and subaru was late to the game introducing this car. This ad is a good way for non-subaru folks to at least say "whoa what the hell was that??" (in either a positive or negative tone) That will get people talking about the tribeca, and will get some of those folks into the dealership-- I think the ad will be successful.

If you want to see a "bad" ad, you should see that Ford Ka commercial, that involves the cat.

Here's the deal... Jaun obviously doesn't like the tribeca or the tribeca ad. He uses an absurd example such as terrorism or sexism to get a response- otherwise known as trolling.

The tribeca has a polarizing effect on people- either you like it or you don't. If people think the car is really ugly, there's nothing I, or anyone, can say that will make them think otherwise.

I've said it before, the tribeca has a market and subaru was late to the game introducing this car. This ad is a good way for non-subaru folks to at least say "whoa what the hell was that??" (in either a positive or negative tone) That will get people talking about the tribeca, and will get some of those folks into the dealership-- I think the ad will be successful.

If you want to see a "bad" ad, you should see that Ford Ka commercial, that involves the cat.

Yeah. Here's a link to that VW ad with the bomber;

http://ad-rag.com/117074.php

Carl

Yeah. Here's a link to that VW ad with the bomber;

http://ad-rag.com/117074.php

Carl

It's NOT a real ad, and it was NOT done by or paid for by VW. It was a demo piece done by an ad agency. VW is suing them for damages. See http://www.snopes.com/photos/advertisements/vwpolo.asp

Back on topic, my teenage son likes the Tribeca ad, and doesn't think the car is ugly. He's never seen an Edsel, either. That's bad for Subaru, because a Tribeca will not fit the car budget of most teenage boys.

The music in the ad is fantastic, "Dust in the Wind" has been a favorite of mine since it was released in 1977 (dang, I'm gettin' old!)

On a similar note: I get a kick out of the Outback ads where the other cars are driving along only on their front two wheels, indicating that unless you have AWD, you're only taking advantage of half your car. The fun part is the disclaimer underneath when the cars on the two front wheels are going past that says, "Professional driver on a closed course. Do not atttempt."

Dang ... I've always wanted to attempt to drive on the front two wheels ... :grin:

To me an SUV should have significant offroad capability or it should be called something else. I have had our outback in very mild offroad conditions and I was dissapointed. It's very good on slippery roads but that's about it. The manual tranny cars may be different. AFAIK the Tribeca will only be available with the auto.

I find the implication in the ad that the Tribeca is the pinnacle of the SUV laughable at best. Them criticizing the average SUV today for being essentially a mall-cruiser is very ironic considering that is all that the Tribeca is.

As a Jeep owner I'm a little offended that they would even consider their ugly creation in the same league, frankly it's not.

I'm not attacking the Tribeca, though I don't like it, I'm just saying the marketing folks need to stop sniffing glue.

How funny that you think opinions outside of your narrow frame of mind are absurd. Think outside your box.

However, if you're comfortable in there you'd best leave the lid closed. We wouldn't want you complicating your world with critical analysis.

Juan

How funny that you think opinions outside of your narrow frame of mind are absurd. Think outside your box

well, if not being able to see how the subaru commercial is reminiscent to car bombings in Iraq and as well as the commercial is targeting scorned women, means that I'm narrow minded- then so be it.

Lots of people don't like the tribeca for a variety of reasons. And as I've said before, to each their own. I never had a problem with you or anyone else disliking the tribeca. You're welcome to your own interpretation of things.

I guess I thought you were trying to be absurd and incite a reaction with your "off the wall" comparisons. But I see that I WAS mistaken thinking you were intentionally being a wongleflute- It looks like you truely believe what you are saying and I'm sorry for doubting your intentions.

To me an SUV should have significant offroad capability or it should be called something else. I have had our outback in very mild offroad conditions and I was dissapointed. It's very good on slippery roads but that's about it. The manual tranny cars may be different. AFAIK the Tribeca will only be available with the auto.

I find the implication in the ad that the Tribeca is the pinnacle of the SUV laughable at best. Them criticizing the average SUV today for being essentially a mall-cruiser is very ironic considering that is all that the Tribeca is.

As a Jeep owner I'm a little offended that they would even consider their ugly creation in the same league, frankly it's not.

I'm not attacking the Tribeca, though I don't like it, I'm just saying the marketing folks need to stop sniffing glue.

I do not look at the Tribeca as an SUV. I look at it as a minivan. In that class, the back seats are kinda small, but otherwise it is very well appointed. Now if I could only get one with a manual transmission, perhaps I might change my mind about it being an SUV. . .

Correct me if you feel I am wrong

Juan

i fell that you are wrong. dude you watch to much tv.like someone said, it shows a man and a dog just drop to the ground. for some reason, that doesnt threaten me. the comericial in my opion,isnt that bad of a comercial. i like it. also, i dont think the comercial is ment to show revenge. and in my opinion, it doesnt. it shows subaru as the dominance to the rest. (which it is):lol:

Okay...I've read all this and for real..some people are reading way to much into the commercial, but to avoid the idiotic comments to follow I'm moving on..

I love the commercial. It is showing me that Subaru's marketing team is waking up and trying adverse ways to sell the product at hand <still love Mobil 1s commercial with the Imp and all the oily ponies:grin: > hopefully they continue on the right track.

The Tribecca isn't as bad in person as I thought. I seem to like the black one and the mahogany one best <test drive soon to come>

Some dealers are offering a 24hr. test drive for the Tribecca and other assorted rides... believe I'll take them up on it and see what this bad boy has to offer.