Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 93 legacy wagon 2.2, the clutch on the ac compressor locked up yrs ago and i recently have been given one off a 95. They are the same brand and bolt up identical. The only thing I see is that the 93 is r12 and the 95 is 134. Subaru, parts store, and bone yard all say that it cant be used. Is this true?

Thanks

Jim

You'd be better to find one from a first gen legacy, 90-94. However it would "probably" work. I'd suggest recharging with 134a. I've posted a thread about converting to 134a, and would suggest you take a look at that. Search for 134a and my name.

I don't see why you can't use it. People upgrade from R12 to R134a all the time, without changing compressors. Why would this be any different? I would make sure that they "vacuum out" the system for a long time...maybe 45 min or even an hour. also, if you haven't already done so, put electrical tape or duct tape over the openings of the junk yard compressor, to try to reduce the amount of moisture that enters the unit, before install...and don't keep it outside in high humidity. Moisture is bad news in ac.

I took it off the car myself so I know it didnt sit around long.

I read through the post legacy, but did not see any where on the amount of oil you used. both the 93 and 95 had little to no oil.

I just bought a haynes manual and did not see anything about the oil amounts and it basically said to take it to a ac tech.

turn the compressor to one side, than the other. See if any oil drains out. Drain as much as possible. If the old compressor locked up, there may be metal in the system. Special precautions are needed. I am not familiar with Subaru ac systems, but the receiver dryer...which subaru does have...and the TXV valve/expansion valve both can store metal. I think subaru has a txv/expansion valve, check with dealer. Both of these items should be replaced to prevent launching metal debris into the system.

The haynes AC & heating book has the specified amounts of oil needed. I can get you the info when I get back in town this weekend if you don't want to buy it.

I wouldn't worry about humidity getting in. As long as they draw a deep vacuum for 30-45 minutes, you'll be fine. Only benefit would be to keep dirt and junk out.

If you have the haynes hvac book there is a table that has the info.

In 93, the calsonic system used 8 oz of oil. The zexel system used 5.10.

In 95, the system used 5.30.

So depending on what system you have, you'll have to split it or something.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: The 95 A/c compressor will work. I finally got it on and out to the shop. After hooking up everything and starting a vac check, the tech said"Well that's a good sign" I asked him what he ment and he ststed that it pulled 28lbs of vac real quik. After the cycle, we put in 1.99lbs of 134 and then could not get the clutch to kick on (later to find out that the relay needed to be reset) Now it will freeze you out of the back seat.

Now I have a problem with the clutch squeels for about a minute when it kicks on. Is there anyway to lube the clutch? I just fixed it and don't really want to have to go through it again.

Thanks, Jim

the belt is tight and nearly to full adjustment. after reading a few other posts here and somewhere else that maybe I have it a little to snug.

I hope legacy chimes in before to long. He seems to be the legacy guy in these parts.