Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy Wagon - Leaking in Rain

Johnb102,

You'll have to systematically approach the leak. Start by pulling back the carpet on the driver's side. You may wish to go as far as to remove the seat as well. Mop up any water, climb into the car with a flashlight, and have a friend start to run a steady, low pressure stream of water from a garden hose along the back lower seam of the door at the B pillar, and slowly raise it up to the bottom of the door glass. Repeat the same procedure at the bottom of the door seam at the A pillar and raise it up to the level of the glass. If you haven't found the leak yet, you next start at the plastic vents below the wiper arms right at the A pillar and move towards the centre of the car. If you haven't found it yet, next is up the side of the A pillar at the glass and slowly across the top of the windshield. If it hasn't shown up by now, the only other place is the drains for the sunroof (if your car is so equipped). One goes down the inside of the A pillar, and the back one from the B pillar(?) The plastic tubes may have come disconnected from their drain connections at the top. Rarely, the water may come in from the back of the car, because its been parked on a downhill driveway, etc. The thing to remember is to start at the bottom and slowly move up until you see water inside. Then repairs may be as simple as caulking, new weatherstrip, a windshield reseal, or metal/rust repair. Good Luck!

3 probable causes. Leaking sun roof hose, if you have one. Most frequent cause is a leaking windshield gasket. Have windshield removed by professional and reasealed. DO NOT use silicone to seal up windshiled! Silicone is will interact badly with the sealant used for the windshield and can cause it to leak more.

Is the leak water or antifreeze...like a leaking heater core.

I assume the car was sitting when this problem developed. If you were driving it in the rain too, thats a whole different set of options.

Yes, the car was sitting in the rain. I found in a search that the drain can be plugged near the bottom of the wiper arm. I found this drain and there was a bunch of debris block it, so I have cleaned it out. It may be still partially clogged inside, because I poursed some water into the hole and it did drain down underneath, but it was very slow to drain. Now I will try to dry out the rugs before the next rain to see if that solved the problem. If not, it will be onto the other approaches suggested.

Looks like the problem I had on an old car. The drains at the bottom of the wiper linkage & ventilation intake compartment were clogged so the water would rise and then leak inside through some opening. To check the drain passages, when washing the car begin with pouring water onto the cowl grille and see if it comes out behind each of the front wheels.