Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Drove older Subarus to death. The things just wouldn't die. Thought I'd upgrade to a '97 Outback with 60,000 miles. After 4 months of driving, the thing leaks oil like a sieve. At every stop, I'm enveloped in a cloud of oil smoke. What a pile of junk. Subaru ought to be ashamed at the lack of quality in these cars. It's leaking from somewhere around the cam pulleys. It's gonna get expensive. Might be better to trade it off.

Standard???? At 60K? Drain and pull the radiator, so I can get an impact wrench on the crank pulley, tear apart the whole front end of the engine, just to change some lousy seals....every 60,000 miles? Boy, is that awful. Drove Subie's forever, but this looks like the end of the line. Sounds like planned maintenance by Subaru to keep their dealership shops rolling in the cash.

Standard???? At 60K? Drain and pull the radiator, so I can get an impact wrench on the crank pulley, tear apart the whole front end of the engine, just to change some lousy seals....every 60,000 miles? Boy, is that awful. Drove Subie's forever, but this looks like the end of the line. Sounds like planned maintenance by Subaru to keep their dealership shops rolling in the cash.

Before you go off the deep end, if you bought the car used you have no idea as to how it was treated by its prior owner(s).

Even a perfectly engineered car will suffer if it's abused or not maintained correctly.

Yeah, quit being a wuss! :brow:

Just kidding, I think I would be pretty pissed too, if my engine were leaking oil like that at only 60000 miles.

I changed my timing belt, cam and crank seals, water pump, thermostat, and radiator hoses all at about 115,000 miles, but there was no sign of leakage or failure of any of those parts at that time. I just did it as preventive maintenance.

Matt

Edit: Yeah, I did the oil pump o-ring and seal, as well as checking the screws on the back plate of the oil pump.

you're right jfm. Its not standard. Not on a car that new. If its a 2.5L, I wonder if the engine has seen some heat. Maybe the previous owner fixed a head gasket problem, but failed to have the front seals replaced too. A little too warm can cause seals to leak prematurely, but not enough to damage the heads. At 60K it shouldn't be pissing out oil. Subaru was really stupid to leave the old 2.2L behind. It was the best engine subaru ever made, why they switched, I have no idea.

Drove older Subarus to death. The things just wouldn't die. Thought I'd upgrade to a '97 Outback with 60,000 miles. After 4 months of driving, the thing leaks oil like a sieve. At every stop, I'm enveloped in a cloud of oil smoke. What a pile of junk. Subaru ought to be ashamed at the lack of quality in these cars. It's leaking from somewhere around the cam pulleys. It's gonna get expensive. Might be better to trade it off.

If this lends any comfort, I had to have the front cam/oil pump seals done at 60K on my 96 OBW, now at 175K and still holding.

I remember when I had a GL-10 (my first car!) it ran like no tomorrow. I know I did try to blow the motor up for a couple months, then totally gave up and sold it since I couldnt even get it to leak/smoke or anything. I sold it to a friend who snapped/bent a rod (or something...not entirely sure) not even 3 months after I sold it to her, got it rebuilt and blew the motor 4-5 months after that.

Now I have my legacy, I love it. leaks, gas sucking and all. I'm totally willing to put oh, 400 into this car to fix everything wrong with it (given I had all of that at once) cuz I know it's not gonna break on me again unless it's my fault and if it's my fault then I deserve to fix it lol.