Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all...

I bought a used 92 Legacy, which I LOVE, back on June 1st. I haven't had a single problem until my wife and I went to the cottage last week. After about 4 hours of mostly continuous operation, the a/c started failing. It didn't quit entirely, the a/c was still cooler than using "vent," but it wasn't as cold as it usually is. This was the first time the car had been in use for so long (with us as owners). It was a hot, humid day, sunny and in the 90's (low 30's for those who use metric).

Since then, the a/c has not returned to normal. It works, but not nearly as effectively as it used to. The blower seems fine, it's just the air temperature is not very cold anymore. Any ideas as to what may have caused this to happen and what we can do to fix it/have it fixed? We're in a crazy heat wave here in Southern Ontario that has lasted all summer and we really miss our a/c -- it's the first time we've had it in years!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

-- V_D

Most likely the system needs recharged...though there could be a leak somewhere...i would take it to a place that you trust, have them look the AC over and then recharge it...that will fix your problem...unless they find a leak which would need fixed before you recharge...hope that helps

Unfortunately your car was built with R12 for the coolant. I don't know about the regulations in Canada, but I believe here where I live service stations are allowed to "top off" systems with R12, but that is only after verifing that your system doesn't have a leak. If indead your system does have a leak you may be required to convert it to the new R134. If it is still blowing a little cold there is a good chance all you'll need is the top off though. So I guess it's good luck, and take it somewhere you trust that won't just insist on converting the car to R134.

Keith

I'll pitch in with my agreement that it sounds like the R12 needs to be "topped off", and it should be done before damage is done to the system. If the R12 is low, that means that the refrigerant, which carries the lubricant, may not be circulating in in enough quantity to keep the compressor from locking up (siezing), in which case you would need to convert to R134a anyway. Mine locked up so bad that it cracked and vented to the atmosphere, leaving the system open. One "pickNpull" compressor and matching hoses later, I converted to r134 myself. I will say that the R134 conversion will bring your system up to a very effective level (how about "set your arthritis off" kinda cold. . .), particularly if you are experiencing a high level of humidity (the moist air cools easier than the dry air of a desert. . .) My converted 92 Legacy wagon has to have the A/C levels set low to prevent frostbite! :brow:

agree-prolly needs a top off charge of R12. Had my 91 Legacy converted to R134a when compressor siezed, and then replaced compressor again with a JY last spring. Had to top off this spring but still ice cold in Texas 100+ heat.

Ther are some good posts on the how to by Legacy777 and others if you ever need to convert.

disagree-moist air cools easier than dry air. Moist air hold more heat per unit volume, therefore takes more energy to cool down. Also, considerable energy is spent condensing the water vapor out of moist air and some of that enery drips right out throug the drain hole onto the ground.

Thanks for all the advice...just wondering if you could give me a couple of ball park figures here so I know kind of what to expect...how much (roughly) for a top-off vs. a full conversion?

Is "topping off" something a total novice like me could do myself? Sounds like not, since the R12 won't be available, right...?

In the meantime, should we be not using the A/C at all? We have been, but will stop if it's doing more damage. It's the same as I earlier reported -- a/c setting is cooler than the "vent" setting, but still noticeably less cold than it used to be.

Thanks again for the comments!

If you have access to the R12 gauges you can put in an r134 alternative coolant...i picked up 3 cans for 5 bucks a can and just mixed it right in with the old r12 and it works better than ever.

Andrew Albrecht

93 Legacy L

169,950 miles and going strong!

There is stuuf that is a substitute for R-12. I have never used, but some swear by it. It is easy to put in even a novice can do it. A conversion is going to be more expensive, prolly good alternative if you have a major compnonet fail, like when my compressor did. I had compressor, reciever dryer and evaporatior replaced along with labor and refrigereent for 800 something-ouch.

When the compressor siezed in Spring 2004, I got JY one for 65, new reciever drier for 35, flushed the lines out and put in oil and took to shop for system to be vaccummed and recharged-all in all about 200 bucks.

agree-prolly needs a top off charge of R12. Had my 91 Legacy converted to R134a when compressor siezed, and then replaced compressor again with a JY last spring. Had to top off this spring but still ice cold in Texas 100+ heat.

Ther are some good posts on the how to by Legacy777 and others if you ever need to convert.

disagree-moist air cools easier than dry air. Moist air hold more heat per unit volume, therefore takes more energy to cool down. Also, considerable energy is spent condensing the water vapor out of moist air and some of that enery drips right out throug the drain hole onto the ground.

I was basing this on emperical evidence, as the air inside the car cools down much faster in humid conditions, versus arid ones.

R12 top off must be done at a shop, and the R12 is very expensive to boot. R134 can be topped off at home, and is very cheap in comparison. Long run figures make the R134 conversion cheaper.