Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any interest in an All-Subaru touring club in the NW?

Here's an idea I've had brewing for a few months, just thought I'd start throwing it out to various groups to gauge interest. Not saying I'd necessarily pursue anything beyond that....

I'm the founder and "president" (I guess?) of Northwest SVX, currently the only semi-organized club dedicated solely to the Subaru SVX in North America (that I know of). We have members from all over the Pacific Northwest and beyond, all of us SVX owners. As you can see from the web site, our goals are to just have fun and help each other learn more about this rare car.

We put together 4 big seasonal events each year, and then between those times get together more casually for tech sessions, car shows (like WCSS), etc. The 4 big ones include a winter and summer social gathering, and a spring and fall scenic driving tour.

I put a ton of time and effort into these events, especially the driving tours. These are fully organized day trips with planned routes, directions, scenic stops, group lunch or dinner in reserved rooms, raffles with sponsors, etc.

Problem is, being dedicated to the SVX, the most we can usually have attend is 10-15 cars. Don't get me wrong, seeing 15 of one of the rarest cars on the road together is very impressive and draws a lot of cool attention everywhere we go. But for the amount of planning, it almost seems a shame that only a handful of people utilize it.

I've been encouraged by friends to try to broaden my scope. Short of getting a Mustang or Corvette (cars that not only are more common, but more of the owners are looking to be a part of a club experience), I thought of this crazy idea: An All-Subaru club.

I know it has been done before, and is a tricky bit of business since there are so many different cars and personality groups out there. To try to keep it somewhat focussed and more purposed, my plan for a potential club would be to stick with what I know - grand touring driving. Any and all Subarus would be welcome, with the understanding that any official events would be on-road scenic driving tours. No off-roading, no drag racing, no really pretty cars that are afraid to go out for a good 100 mile drive on a rainy Saturday.

Again, just some thoughts. Most of you don't know me (yeah, I spend more time on the SVX forums), but check out the NWSVX site to see more of what I'm about.

Troy

sounds good to me..moved here to seattle from denver last year and really havent had a chance to see much of the state....lived for 35 years in denver and knew the state very well..would like to learn about washington now...just bought a 96 outback that i would also like to try out on some nice roads on a weekend :)

alan

sounds good and there was a club here called the NWSEC (North West Subaru Enthusiast(sp?) Club) and havn't heard word about the newest stuff goin on with it but hey would be great to have a NW club again and have it more NW instead of washington like NWSEC was

Jason, when will you guys understand that when someone is from a certain area and he puts all/most of the work into something then it generally stays in his/her area. When are you guys going to get the Portland group organized?

Back to the topic at hand.

Excellent idea Troy. I have wanted to join you guys in the past but have always had scheduling conflicts. We definitely have a few cars(in our family) that would enjoy a cruise.

Ken

Jason, when will you guys understand that when someone is from a certain area and he puts all/most of the work into something then it generally stays in his/her area. When are you guys going to get the Portland group organized?

Back to the topic at hand.

Excellent idea Troy. I have wanted to join you guys in the past but have always had scheduling conflicts. We definitely have a few cars(in our family) that would enjoy a cruise.

Ken

oops sorry but hey we have tried a few times but with conflicting schedules and such for alot of people that we don't find the time to meet up to make plans to organise lol

Thanks for the replies everybody. :)

I've still gotta put a similar post up in NASIOC and I-Club (and the SVX World Network) to gauge how all those guys feel, but just from what I've seen so far I think I'm inspired to test the waters with an actual event.

I've already got a fully planned scenic tour of Whidbey Island I ran for the SVX group in April, so it would be pretty easy for me to dust it off and run it again as an All-Subie Invite. If so, I'd probably do it some Saturday in September.