Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I recently had the problem of my car not starting (see "'01 Legacy GT starting problem!"). I finally just had it towed to a branch of the dealership that I got it from. Today they told me that the problem is being caused by a security system (not factory) that was not wired correctly and is causing electrical problems. This is going to cost me $330+ to fix and the extended service agreement that I purchased with the car (for $1,200) doesn't cover it! I wasn't aware that the car even had any special security system, it has never worked.

In addition, I had to replace the tires on the car in February because the ones on it when I bought it were causing a serious shimmy in the steering column. This was after I unsuccessfully tried to have the problem fixed at the dealership by having the tires balanced (as they recommended) for about $70.

Ultimately, I am extremely dissatisfied with the dealership that I bought the car from, so I called them today to see what they could do about this security system/wiring problem. They told me that there is nothing that they can do and if I didn't want to deal with problems, maybe I shouldn't have bought a used car. I wanted to retort,"If you can't treat your customers well and your service department is so inept, maybe you shouldn't be selling used cars!" but I was courteous and hung up.

I am now furious with the dealership. I want to do something about it and I want to warn other consumers. Any ideas???

As far as I know most if not all dealerships are bogus. They know next to nothing about cars, they sell leather and A/C, not engines and transmissions. They want you to buy buy buy and never come back unless you intend to buy more. That's how they make money. Sad, true. You have been wronged and although I would like to see you win in small claims court against them, that's not likely. My advise would be to buy an old Soob (you just can't trust modern electronics) from a reputable board member and avoid dealerships completely. Also, what dealership is it so we know to stay away?

Nothing wrong with telling everyone which dealership it is..............Any complaint as long as truthful should be perfectly fine to post here.

Next step is call Subaru America and complain about the dealership, and follow up! Then try the Better business Bureau, does a local TV station or newspaper have a consumer hot line?

Sometimes the squeeky wheel gets the grease...........

Don't back down..............Maybe even a note to the Attorney general of your state.

On my 94 Sub which I bought new, it took me several trips to the dealership, and finally a meeting with a factory Rep to be vindicated that the dealership screwed the car up, while they told me the vibrations and grinding noises were "normal". Just trying to get me past warranty..........took the threat of invoking the Lemon Law to get the car fixed.

swi66

you can probaably fix the security system thing yourself. It is pretty easy to find wires that don't belong to the car. They aren't wrapped the same and they look newer/shiny usually. Just trace the wires around, under the hood and under the dash, also open the fuse box. Look for a pig tail wire that goes into the front of the fuses. Remove it. Or look for where the extra wires are spliced into the regular subaru wires. Remove the splice, repair the subaru wire. Usually a system like that only has one power feed...usually in the fuse box, or underneath the dash, or at the positive battery terminal.

The dealer is a real s--- for not backing up their merchandise. Try calling the sales manager or service manager first. See if you can get anywhere that way.

The dealership where I bought the car is Tynan Saab (Fort Collins, CO) and the branch that did the recent work on my car is Tynan Nissan/Kia (Fort Collins, CO). The Saab dealership (in my experience) is run by a big group of swindlers and liars who know virtually nothing about the cars they sell. Their service department is no better. The Nissan/Kia dealership is much more pleasant to deal with, but their service department also leaves quite a bit to be desired when it comes to actually fixing your vehicle.

I will be contacting the Better Business Buearu, and as many other consumer bulletins etc as possible. If any of you know of anywhere else (other websites, etc) where I can reach other consumers, please let me know.

Thanks all!

As far as I know most if not all dealerships are bogus. They know next to nothing about cars, they sell leather and A/C, not engines and transmissions. They want you to buy buy buy and never come back unless you intend to buy more. That's how they make money. Sad, true. You have been wronged and although I would like to see you win in small claims court against them, that's not likely. My advise would be to buy an old Soob (you just can't trust modern electronics) from a reputable board member and avoid dealerships completely. Also, what dealership is it so we know to stay away?

I have had dealings with 2 dealerships in my area (Seattle): Chaplin's and Eastside. I have purchased 5 Subarus from Chaplin's. Both their sales and service are first-rate. Eastside's sales department sucks but their service rocks. I had a coolant smell in my 2001 Outback and took it to Eastside without an appointment to see if they could tell me what the problem was - they took it in, diagnosed it as a headgasket problem, and had it fixed by the next morning! And under warantee too!

Id be guessing the Extended Service Warranty covers all mods to the car at the time of sale, unless explicity stated that a certain mod wont be covered! Otherwise they have mis-represented the vehicle and the warranty to you, and they have opened themselves up to a stand alone law suit!

Also id be getting either an independant Auto Elect to assess the 'apparent' short and cause of the problem (or Subaru!!??). Id suggest the security system has absolutely nothing to do with the problem in the car! You've already said they are full of shi7, and dont know what they are doing!!

This will set you in good stead to pressure them to fix the initial problem, or the ensuing legal action!

Good luck, dont take any crap, and get their 'position' in writing!