Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's my DL worth?

I may be getting a good deal on an AWD Legacy wagon (auto :() and would be selling my '88 DL, so what do you think it's worth? It has 165K+ but still runs pretty strong. The engine leaks oil (I have the new valve cover gaskets, just haven't put them on), the tranny is decent, the clutch is still good, the exhaust sucks but it's complete. The body is rusty, but there aren't any large holes or anything. I can post pics if anyone wants to see them. All it really needs would be brakes, because the rr grinds and the fronts seem to be warped, but it still stops fine. I just drove the car from IA to NY and back last month, and it's by far the most reliable car I've ever had. Hell, I've put 40K+ on it since I got it and have only had to replace the exhaust and 1 brake cylinder.

Anyway, let me know what you think it's worth and you may be seeing in in the Marketplace soon.

Uni:

Good news and bad news...mostly bad.

A car like yours is an excellent backup. Everybody wants one, but it always seems like when you need one the most, you can never find one.

As it sits now, your DL is not going to attract a lot of interest - except as a parts car. A lot will depend upon the rust, and being a Midwest car, its' structural integrity is likely to be fading fast.

My advice to you: keep it as YOUR backup. Fix the brakes and run it into the ground. Then offer it up on the Market Board a few years down the road. It'll probably bring in as much $$ (if not more), and you'll have saved alot of wear and tear on your newer vehicle.

good luck, John

I'll snap some pictures this weekend.

I'd love to keep the car as a spare and fix it up, but I don't really have any space. My friend has a garage I can use until January, but I don't know what's going on after that.

Besides, I'll already have one project when I get my next RX-7 (I sold my colorshifting TurboII after getting rear-ended) and I don't have time for another project...or do I?

Time will tell, I guess.

An 18 x 20 bluetarp and 4 cinder blocks will do as a temporary garage and will cost you less than $20. The cost to replace your DL, if you ever want to, would be way more. The hedge here is if you ever want to part it out, you'd get a ton more than if you sold it outright, especially in the midwest. On top of that, the relationships and percs you could establish through helping out others with hard to find parts would pay back even greater dividends. Good luck.

lets talk some real numbers here.

i think this sounds like a 200 dollar subaru to me.

concidering i have never payed more than 450 dollars for midwest subaru, and that includes a brat 450, a 4x ea82wagon gl 200, and a few others around the same price... the mileage, and the rust, and the 2wd are what kills you. but hey... there are pleanty of *******es... i say keep it as backup... old subies are better anyway